[Mitai-announce] Emergency meeting at 4:30, room TBA

Aquene aquene at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 15:43:38 EDT 2007

I just called but didn't get a real person (left a message) (tried the
political office). I'll call every day for as long as I can. We should be
incredibly careful to make sure that we don't get this MIT student in
trouble if she ever wishes to go to China. They monitor people extremely
carefully so I think we are better off not saying that the mother has a
daughter at MIT. Perhaps you know better. In the early 70s it was so bad
that Chinese students who didn't act properly in the US were disappeared. I
don't hear of that happening anymore, but there is no anonymity in China
this is what I learned from Tibetan freedom activists. Aquene

On 4/27/07, Shankar Mukherji <mukherji at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We received word from a fellow MIT student that her mother, a practitioner
> of
> Falun Gong, has been arrested in China.  Falun Gong members have been
> subject
> to brutal repression by the Chinese government for years now and we are
> all
> very nervous about the student's mother.  We will be meeting to call the
> Chinese embassy to inform them that we know about the case and that we
> demand
> that she be treated well in detention and released immediately if she has
> not
> committed a crime.  Here is some information compiled by the student:
>
> Information about my mother is below:
> Name: Yan, Ning
> D.O.B: 10/05/1956
> Home Address:
> 10-2-301 Cuishui Yuan, Meijiang Street
> Hexi District, Tianjin 300221, China
> Currently being held at Tianjin Hexi District Detention Center.
>
> If you cannot make it to the meeting itself, please feel free to call on
> your
> own.  The main number to the Chinese embassy in Washington is (202)
> 328-2500
> (the Chinese Embassy has deleted their "Contact Us" webpage, but I think
> they
> forgot to delete their phone number at the bottom of the page!).  Remember
> say that you are a member of the MIT chapter of Amnesty International.
>
> Let's hope we can help out.
>
> Regards,
> Shankar

We must be the change we want to see in the world - Gandhi