[Mitai-announce] DARFUR ACTION DAY - LOBBY 10 SIGN-UP

Emily C Havens emily13 at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 17 19:27:08 EDT 2004

Hello everyone,

As you saw in Shankar's e-mail, we have several exciting events planned for
Monday and Tuesday of next week for Amnesty's Darfur Action Day (officially
21 September which is also the UN International Day of Peace).  Now... the
purpose of this e-mail is to get all of you to get up and get out there
and help out.  We need people to staff the Lobby 10 Table on Monday, and
people to pass out flyers at 77 Mass Ave (or Lobby 7 in the case of rain)
on Tuesday.

Monday's table will be chock full of Sudan information.  We have several
(laminated!!) posters with pictures and brief descriptions of the atrocities
occurring in Darfur, we'll have some basic fact sheets, a petition to the
President of Sudan, and a collection jar to raise money to further fund
Amnesty's work in Sudan.  Tuesday's work will consist of handing out flyers
with basic information about the crisis and a blurb about the events later
that evening.

We have Monday's table from 9-5.  It is absolutely necessary that we have at
least 1 person there at all times, but the more the merrier... so feel free
to sign up for a time even if there is already someone there.  E-mail me
(please do not reply to the lists this was sent to) with which time(s) you
can work.  Times listed below (in 1 hour shifts):

9:00	   Emily
10:00	   Emily
11:00
12:00
1:00
2:00
3:00	   Emily
4:00	   Emily

Also, I'm assuming we can hand out flyers at any time of day on Tuesday, but
it'll be great if we can start as early as possible and stay there as long
as possible.  So just let me know if there are any times you can flyer on
Tuesday.

**And don't forget about the main event!!  Tuesday night.  Presentation,
letter writing (and pizza!!!) 8 pm in 4-253.  Candlight vigil immediately
following.

**To learn more about the crisis in Sudan, the following Amnesty sites are
excellent sources:

http://web.amnesty.org/pages/sdn-index-eng
http://news.amnesty.org/pages/sudan
http://www.amnestyusa.org/countries/sudan/index.do

Please get back to me as soon as possible since this all begins on Monday!

Thanks,
Emily
MIT Amnesty Secretary