[Macpartners] How safe/secure is 'Personal File Sharing' on Mac OS X?

Atticus Gifford atticus at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 25 21:00:59 EST 2004

I would only add that in fact a surprising number of files and
applications still use resource forks for legacy and convenience
reasons.  As an installer writer I can at least point to nearly every
mac installer on web.mit.edu/software, as well as most other installers
written with VISE (the majority of non-.pkg installers) as all having
vital resource fork components.  Simply binhexing, zipping or otherwise
compressing the file is sufficient, but straight transfers will corrupt
the file.

Just an FYI.. many people are surprised by the continued pervasiveness
of dual-fork files.

-atticus