Fwd: Re: [Macpartners] Feedback on Mac OS X 10.3

Ginny Williams ginnyw at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 29 14:03:43 EST 2003

Dan gave me permission to forward to the list...

ginny
--- begin forwarded text

From: Dan Armendariz <danallan at MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: [Macpartners] Feedback on Mac OS X 10.3
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:20:52 -0500
To: Ginny Williams <ginnyw at mit.edu>

Hey Ginny,

	Last night I upgraded from Jaguar (10.2) to Panther, and I
was very surprised to see how well it works!  It feels much snappier
than Jaguar (it's more responsive and the visual effects are smoother
and quicker) and the Finder is much more intuitive and productive.
All the new little features really add up to make it a great
experience: Exposé is just as cool as it is helpful, text
auto-completion is great for those of us who are too lazy to learn
how to spell "miscellaneous", and the new widget design is very
modern and industrial.  Printing has been great and even easier to
use than Jaguar, and Panther's very smart when it comes to networking.

Beyond my great praises .. I did have a few problems installing some
old software.  I Installed the Palm conduit for iSync, and it changed
the permissions on a folder that caused an installation to fail.  Of
course, this is not necessarily Panther's fault, but it was annoying
nonetheless.  Also, I've heard reports of panther destroying external
Firewire hard drives when the computer is restarted, and so I am
scared of keeping my Firewire backup drive plugged in.

>From an MIT standpoint, I've had very few problems with the
applications, e-mail (and I use Apple's Mail application), network,
etc.  I have not installed that many MIT-specific apps, but SSH'ing
into Athena from the Terminal still works great.  Apple Mail,
however, keeps complaining that it does not recognize the
po10.mit.edu's certificate, but I can still check mail (and it only
asks once, until I restart the machine).

That's pretty much it, I would say ..... You really need to
experience it for yourself to get a true feeling for it.  Compared to
10.2, I think it's an incredible improvement, but some people
disagree.

Try out Ruby2 in the Call center .. it's great!
--Dan
-fellow HD consultant :-)