[Macpartners] Mac OS X - which files to backup

Craig Counterman ccount at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 29 13:20:29 EST 2003

> I'm currently having CCC make a disk image of selected directories
> (Users, System, System Folder) onto an external firewire drive.

> ginny

There have been reports of people losing data under panther when
restarting with an external firewire drive attached, which is
especially a bummer if the external contains the backup.

See <http://www.macfixit.com/> and the long "External FW HD dead after
Panther?" thread at
<http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx/macosx3install>

I've not tested this intentionally or unintentionally.

The only gotcha I've found so far is that the Terminal app now offers
to set different TERM settings, defaulting to "xterm-color" and a
coworker had trouble logging into athena remotely with that setting.
Changing the preference to "vt102" seems to help.

AFS is now available for 10.3 from openafs.org and seems ok.

Craig