[Macpartners] Mac OS X - which files to backup

Ginny Williams ginnyw at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 29 13:04:11 EST 2003

Hi.

This question has probably been asked and answered here before but I
can't find it in my archive.  Thanks for your indulgence.

I've been backing up using Carbon Copy Cloner, but I'm not sure if
I'm doing the right thing.

I'm currently having CCC make a disk image of selected directories
(Users, System, System Folder) onto an external firewire drive.  I
think what I want to do is to make a backup and then add to it
incrementally for a period of time.  I'm also  not sure if I need to
backup anything other than the usr directory.  After a while I'd
archive that disk image and start again with a new one.  I don't need
a bootable backup, at least I don't think I need one.

So, what are your thoughts?  What methods are you following?

Thanks!

ginny