[GWAMIT] GWAMIT- Professional Development/Career Events and Opportunities next week!

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Fri Oct 12 15:52:41 EDT 2018

Hello GW at MIT members!

Happy Friday! We have a couple professional development/career events coming up next week as well as some other opportunities at MIT that we thought you'd find interesting (see below!). We're in the process of planning our General Board Meeting (GBM) for later in October so look out for the date! As always, you'll get to hear more about GWAMIT, meet women across departments including our GWAMIT department reps, and get free dinner!

Also as we said in the newsletter, we're considering creating a REFS group specifically for GWAMIT(resources for easing friction and stress). Some departments have groups (dREFS) and there is also an institute wide program iREFS. You can check it out here<http://gsc.mit.edu/committees/hca/irefs/>. Please fill out this questionnaire<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Yv3jN7sk7ZAwjIX3GFh5eV1uSOnrG_TTLOiO29LodQE/edit> so we can see if there's an interest in a GWAMIT group.

Have a great weekend!
GW at MIT Board

GW at MIT:

    1. LAM Research Women's Breakfast (October 17)
    2. Webinar with Cyclotron Road (October 17)

Miscellaneous:
    3. THRIVE in spite of the Imposter Syndrome! (October 17)
    4. I-Corps Spark Program (October 23- November 28)

1. LAM Research Women Breakfast
When: October 17, 9-10 am
Where: 5-134
RSVP: here<https://bit.ly/2xQJudq>

Join Lam Research’s ‘Women’s Networking Breakfast’ hosted by GW at MIT! Meet Lam employees and learn more about career opportunities and life at Lam.

Lam Research is one of the world’s most trusted suppliers in the semiconductor equipment industry, transforming technology daily. Lam creates equipment that allows chipmakers to build device features more than 1,000 times smaller than a grain of sand. This tiny scale has a huge impact. Virtually every leading-edge chip inside the electronic products you use every day (TVs, smartphones, laptops, cars—even medical devices) has been made using Lam’s equipment.

Open to all departments and all students!

Fun fact: Lam was founded by Dr. David Lam, an MIT alum himself, and is the second largest manufacturer in the Bay Area, after Tesla!

Limited spots, hurry up and register!

2. Webinar with Cyclotron Road
When: October 17, 4pm
Where: online!
RSVP: here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdO7R0CeATrcmVLBZCrQwn_NJoB9tRyRPzIAVthn91rw68L1w/viewform?usp=sf_link>

Cyclotron Road<http://cyclotronroad.org> is an entrepreneurial fellowship for scientists and engineers interested in commercializing a new innovation. The program has a solid number of female-led companies already, but Beth Zotter is interested in seeing more female founders, and will be hosting a webinar for GWAMIT on Wednesday, October 17 at 4 pm Eastern time to answer questions about the Cyclotron Road program and those interested in technology entrepreneurship in general.

Sign up for the webinar here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdO7R0CeATrcmVLBZCrQwn_NJoB9tRyRPzIAVthn91rw68L1w/viewform?usp=sf_link>, and you'll be sent the webinar info the day before the webinar.

3. THRIVE in spite of the Imposter Syndrome!
When: October 17, 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
Where: 10-250
Contact: lpouchak at mit.edu<mailto:lpouchak at mit.edu>

  *   Do you chalk your success up to luck, timing, or other external factors?
  *   Do you believe "If I can do it, anyone can?"
  *   Do you agonize over the smallest flaws in your work?
  *   When you do succeed, do you secretly feel like you 'fooled them again'?
  *   If so - come join us and learn from expert Dr. Valerie Young, internationally recognized expert and author in an interactive session!!

4. I-Corps Spark Program
When: Apply now! Program is October 23-November 28th
Application: http://bit.ly/NERINapply1
Contact: bkahn at mit.edu

Researchers Considering a Startup:

  *   Get entrepreneurial training, support, and learn how to apply for $50K
  *   Explore taking your new technology to the marketplace
  *   Increase your chances of receiving an SBIR award
  *   Participate in a program developed by the National Science Foundation
  *   Take advantage of this short 5-week workshop that will introduce the customer discovery process, business model development, and provide professional skill development!