[GWAMIT] Newsletter, October 9

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue Oct 9 21:01:24 EDT 2018

GWAMIT Newsletter

View this email in your browser<*|ARCHIVE|*>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/422a824a-ff70-469b-9dbb-febf6ea71dd9.png]

GW at MIT Newsletter
October 9, 2018
[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/6ea61e5d-0708-4736-b6ba-dde8a08e7af1.png]

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-link-48.png]<http://www.gwamit.org/>

Website<http://www.gwamit.org/>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-forwardtofriend-48.png]<mailto:gwamit-exec@mit.edu>

Email<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-facebook-48.png]<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>

Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-twitter-48.png]<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>

Twitter<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-instagram-48.png]<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>

Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>

Message from the GWAMIT Board:

Hello GW at MIT members!!

GW at MIT is considering creating a REF service. We would love it if you could fill out the next short questionnaire below:
questionnaire<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Yv3jN7sk7ZAwjIX3GFh5eV1uSOnrG_TTLOiO29LodQE/edit>
- The GW at MIT Board

Event overview:

GW at MIT:

     1. GW at MIT Running Group (October 13)
     2. LAM Research Women's Breakfast (October 17)

WOMEN-RELATED:

     3. Path of Professorship Workshop for Graduate Women (November 16-17)
     4. NE GWiSE is recruiting!
     5. Women STEM Database at MIT (WiSDM) recruiting!
     6. Seeking Graduate Assistant for Women's Programs

WELLNESS:

     7. Wellness Fair (October 12)
     8. Fixing Our Broken Sleep (October 16)

 MISCELLANEOUS:

    9. Career Workshop Series: Build a Meaningful Career (October 11)
   10. The Impostor Syndrome: Dr. Valerie Young (October 17)
   11. NYChildren Photography: Portraits that Connect All of Humanity (October 23)
   12. PA Aerospace and Defense is recruiting!
  13. MindHandHeart Innovation Fund grants
  14. BCG is hiring!

Did you know ... ?

Donna Strickland is the first woman in 55 years to be awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics. Congratulations Donna!

Storied Women of MIT:

Eugenia Kalnay
(1942 - )

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/2467f75c-fe6f-4f4e-b059-aac73a1272c9.jpg]

(click here<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjaZ_M2fNgA> to see video about her)

GW at MIT event details

1. GW at MIT Running Group

When: every Saturday morning, 9:30 AM
Where: Meet at Student Center (Alchemist Statue), MassAve

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/8aa1c300-ded2-4191-90a8-e4c75a7b0dff.jpg]

We will meet at 9:30 am by the statue outside of the student center (the Alchemist), and leave soon after for a lovely 3 mile run along the edge of the Charles River. We will end our run at Flour Bakery + Cafe on Mass Ave, and have a coffee or a drink, courtesy of GWAMIT.  All levels welcome. Hope to see you there!

2. LAM Research Women Breakfast

When: October 17, 9-10 am
Where: 5-134
RSVP: here<https://bit.ly/2xQJudq>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/f7e1daae-78d9-43ea-b92d-af53f1843a03.jpg]

Join Lam Research’s ‘Women’s Networking Breakfast’ hosted by GW at MIT! Meet Lam employees and learn more about career opportunities and life at Lam.

Lam Research is one of the world’s most trusted suppliers in the semiconductor equipment industry, transforming technology daily. Lam creates equipment that allows chipmakers to build device features more than 1,000 times smaller than a grain of sand. This tiny scale has a huge impact. Virtually every leading-edge chip inside the electronic products you use every day (TVs, smartphones, laptops, cars—even medical devices) has been made using Lam’s equipment.

Open to all departments and all students!

Fun fact: Lam was founded by Dr. David Lam, an MIT alum himself, and is the second largest manufacturer in the Bay Area, after Tesla!

Limited spots, hurry up and register!

Women-related event details

3. Path of Professorship Workshop for Graduate Women

When:
1.5 day workshop on Friday November 16th and Saturday November 17th
The application remains open October 1 - October 15 (11:59 pm).
Website: web<http://odge.mit.edu/development/pop/> (general information and application)

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/3ad29cd2-c1fa-43a1-a87a-d43977063212.jpeg]

Attendees learn:

•         Key strategies for applying and interviewing for academic positions
•     The importance of networking and how to manage networking with peers and superiors
•      Insights from deans and department chairs about what to negotiate for once you have the offer
•      Advice from faculty on things you can do now and during your hire to make your tenure-track years as smooth and successful as possible
•        Characteristics of different types of universities
•        Advice on maintaining a balanced life, in light of the rigorous demands of a career in academia

Note: materials and meals  are provided

4. NE GWiSE is recruiting!

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/783110d6-7939-41bb-9545-fdead96d1302.png]

Interested in further expanding your involvement and flexing your leadership muscles as a woman in STEM beyond the MIT campus? You're in luck! New England Graduate Women in Science and Engineering (NE GWiSE) is still recruiting for the following positions:

- Treasurer
- Advocacy chair
- Professional Development chair
- Social chair

If you are interested, please reach out for further information of what those positions entail!

Please contact the MIT representative for NE GWiSE, Soley, at the following email: olafsson at mit.edu<mailto:olafsson at mit.edu>

5. Women STEM Database at MIT (WiSDM) recruiting!

The Women in STEM Database at MIT (WiSDM) is a new initiative to help promote the visibility of women in our academic community. The goal of this initiative is to provide a curated searchable online database of MIT women, making it easier to find talented and diverse speakers for conference talks, panels, and outreach events. We are currently looking for a new member of our team to help build our web platform and make our database easy to update, search, filter, and use. If you have expertise in web design and would like to help make our MIT community more inclusive, we’d love to have you board!

Please email Ritu Raman (ritur at mit.edu<mailto:ritur at mit.edu>) for more details on WiSDM and how we are working to engage the MIT family in the recruitment, retention, and promotion of women in STEM.

6. Seeking Graduate Assistant for Women's Programs

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/c5a4e612-e9fb-47c2-adab-67b8fc13f8b9.png]

The Graduate Assistant for Women’s Programs works on projects and events that build community and enhance the MIT experience for cisgender and transgender women-identified and non-binary students.  The Graduate Assistant manages and facilitates programming in the Margaret Cheney Room, whose namesake graduated from MIT in 1882. The primary purpose of the GA is to carry out the goals of the SAO in the following ways:

1.    Work with staff and students to brand Women at MIT, including events and programs as well as social media, website, and campus marketing
2.    Plan, implement, and evaluate monthly lunches for students, staff and faculty
3.   Organize events that provide support, build community, and/or foster leadership development among Cheney Room members
4.    Support women student organizations and groups
5.    Assist in the administration of and renovations for the Margaret Cheney Room, the on-campus Women’s Community Center
6.    Develop assessment for programmatic efforts as well as research best practices
7.    Interact and collaborate with other departments and offices

Some potential activities for the GA would include: implementation of events for international women, creation of series programming in the Cheney Room, and collaboration with offices across the Institute to support the Cheney Room’s mission and its constituents.

The Margaret Cheney Room was founded in 1884 in recognition of the fact that women have traditionally been denied a safe space of their own, especially in the STEM fields. In light of its founding mission, the Cheney Room exists to promote community and empower all students at MIT who experience gender-based systems of oppression. This includes (but is not limited to) self-identified women, transgender women, and non-binary individuals.

Supervisor:  a full-time professional Student Activities Office staff member

All applicants must:

● Be a currently registered graduate student in good standing at an accredited institution
● Be able to commit to up to 20 hours of work every week
● Be able to work some evening and weekend hours, when necessary

Applicants should have good communication and organizational skills, as well as be able to take initiative in new projects.  Applicants will have a desire to advise students and work in a team environment.  An understanding of, or interest in, issues of identity, the empowerment of marginalized populations, combatting sexism, genderism and misogyny, and student affairs/higher education is highly encouraged.

Duration and Compensation:

The Graduate Assistant position officially begins on August 22 and officially ends May 24. The Graduate Assistant will be expected to work an average of 20 hours per week.

The Graduate Assistant will be paid a $9,000 stipend over the course of the academic year.

To submit resumes:

Leah Flynn Gallant, Ph.D., Associate Dean for Student Leadership and Engagement
laflynn at mit.edu<http://laflynn@mit.edu> (617.253.4158)

Wellness event details

7. Wellness Fair

When: Friday, October 12, 2018 at 2:00pm to 5:00pm
Where:   Z-Center Lobby

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/16734c7c-b9bd-47ef-95b1-507b6b1b4ff5.jpg]

Join us for smoothies, puppies, raffles, giveaways, and more!
The Wellness Fair is sponsored by the Division for Student Life and MindHandHeart.

8. Fixing Our Broken Sleep

When:  Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 12:00pm to 1:30pm
Where: Building 76, 156
[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/ffa4a24f-5de5-43a0-914b-9ab90cfcbd6a.jpg]

Presenter: Rick Clerici, C.Ht., C.S.E.; Director, Clear Mind Systems

Do you struggle to get a good night’s sleep?

If so, you are not alone. Recent studies suggest that we are experiencing a worldwide epidemic of insufficient sleep, with 60 percent of Americans reporting difficulty sleeping nearly every night. In this interactive seminar, attendees will learn techniques for overcoming common sleep problems; examine sleep from a scientific, historic, and traditional perspective; and learn the connections between sleep and health. This presentation has helped many people begin to get better sleep almost immediately. Some sleep concerns that will be addressed include:

Trouble falling asleep
Difficulty staying asleep
Excessive thinking
Waking too early
Daytime sleepiness
Sunday night insomnia
Chronic insomnia

Miscelaneous event details

9. Career Workshop Series: Build a Meaningful Career: Discover Yourself, Find Possibilities, and Create Your Action Plan

When: Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 4:30pm to 5:45pm
Where: Building NE49, 5000
RSVP: here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/career-workshop-seriesbuild-a-meaningful-career-discover-yourself-find-possibilities-and-create-registration-46769865928>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/ffa4a24f-5de5-43a0-914b-9ab90cfcbd6a.jpg]
Presenter: Jennifer Earls<http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/seminars/bios#Jennifer>, M.Ed.; Career Counselor and Founder, Dance with Life Consulting
This three-part career workshop series will help you move toward meaningful work while gaining networking and other practical career-building skills. Join a group of other young professionals at MIT who also want to create fulfilling careers and lives, and who are seeking the strategies and support to take actual steps forward. In this three-part workshop series, you will gain:

  *   More clarity about yourself, including your core values and skills
  *   An expanded awareness of career possibilities that match your interests and strengths
  *   A concrete plan for your next steps
Before you register for this workshop, please note the following:
It is essential that you commit to all three sessions of this Career Workshop Series
The three sessions will be held 4:30-5:45 p.m. on the following Thursdays:
October 11
October 25
November 15
An investment of $14.95 is required upfront for the online SkillScan Career Assessment, which offers insight into your unique skillset and possible career pathways, and will be used extensively during each session. Due to high demand, this workshop is only open to members of the MIT community

10. Talk on Impostor Syndrome: Dr. Valerie Young

When: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Where: Huntington Hall (10-250)

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/0d19a512-ca25-4af2-a935-5ada783f4352.jpg]

Do you chalk your success up to luck, timing, or other external factors?
Do you believe "If I can do it, anyone can'?
Do you agonize over the smallest flaws in your work?
When you do succeed, do you secretly feel like you 'fooled them again'?

If so - come join us and learn from expert Dr. Valerie Young, internationally recognized expert and author, in an interactive session!!

11. NYChildren Photography: Portraits that Connect All of Humanity

When: Tuesday, October 23. 6.30pm
Where: 2-190

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/9b2d722a-c05e-492c-852d-208ee3f99e79.jpg]

Inspired by the simple idea that meeting your neighbors promotes peace, Danny Goldfield set out to photograph one child from every country on earth and find them all living in his hometown, New York City.

Danny will tell his story of going to unfamiliar neighborhoods and showing up at churches, mosques, restaurants, hair salons, any place he could find to ask for help with the project. The resulting photographs and stories exist because of the introductions and generous spirit of clergy, business people, educators, politicians, journalists, artists, students, and families.

12. PA Aerospace and Defense is recruiting!

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/3b775d92-b22e-4006-9989-615a51abdaaa.png]

Locations: Arlington, VA and Cambridge, MA.
PA Aerospace and Defense is recruiting Business Analysts and Consultant Analysts.

PA Aerospace and Defense, a subsidiary of PA Consulting Group, has a long history providing strategic support, advanced analytics, and operational excellence to leaders in government and industry with their biggest and most complex challenges and opportunities. Finding innovative solutions for our clients is what drives us. Our people are encouraged to develop their expertise by pursuing their passions and asking the big questions. Join us at PA Aerospace and Defense where your ideas and ambition will make a difference.

What can we offer you?
• Experience – involvement in advanced strategic and operational consulting that makes a real difference to high-profile clients on very challenging issues. Gain experience rapidly as you work on a number of different commercial and government projects in a short time period.
• Teamwork -- committed teams that blend in-depth industry experience with high quality consulting expertise and diverse skills and styles.
• Learning -- sharp and interesting colleagues who will develop and challenge you, and a career path helping you develop in many ways – technical, teamwork, travel, communication, and more
• Growth – flexible career paths with the ability to progress as quickly as your skills develop, and with increasing opportunities in a growing firm
• Opportunity -- strong compensation and benefits with a strong bonus program and ability to progress rapidly.

Basic Qualifications:
• Strong skills in one or more of the following: System Dynamics, data analysis, data management, visualization (e.g. Tableau, Qlik, R Shiny), operations management, or programming (e.g. R, Python, VBA, MATLAB, Java)
• US Citizenship required due to client requirements for some of our work

Additional Desirable Attributes:
• Record of accomplishment and analytical ability in academic and/or professional work
• Ability to move between detailed technical analysis and more strategic ‘big picture’ thinking
• Proven discipline, energy, and confidence to get things done
• Ability to work well with wide range of clients and colleagues with different strengths and styles
• Ambition and self-motivation with the desire to contribute to a positive team environment and the long-term performance of our team and our clients
• Excellent communication skills

Students can find out more on the MIT Careers site and please apply here www.pausinc.com <http://www.pausinc.com> under Careers.

13. MindHandHeart Innovation Fund grants

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/_compresseds/5cb940cd-d706-4945-af10-4bf41ab2e849.jpg]

The MindHandHeart, a coalition working to make MIT a more welcoming, inclusive, and healthy place, is now accepting applications for its Innovation Fund grants of up to $10,000 to students, faculty, and staff members.

This year, they are looking to support projects that:

•    Build community on campus
•    Support mental and physical health
•    Promote inclusion and respect
•    Counter imposter syndrome
•    Welcome new members of our community
•    Encourage healthy sleep
•    Bridge political differences
•    Spread humor and joy
•    Eliminate bullying
•    Foster life skills

They are hosting an information session on October 25th from 12-1pm in e23-319. Applications will be accepted through October 30th.

14. BCG is hiring!

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/0112f0d0-5d2f-4597-99b6-ac854a9e01d4.png]

Are you looking to start an exciting career in consulting?  Are you available to start soon?  You’re in luck! BCG is hiring! Apply your knowledge and skills to new challenges, working in case teams and alongside senior management from the world’s top companies. You’ll work closely with clients to understand their issues and collaborate with fellow consultants to transform client potential into performance. Please read through this for learning opportunities and application instructions.

BCG Virtual ADC Information Session

Join us for an information session to learn about careers in consulting and hear directly from BCG consulting team members. Our presenter will share their experiences transitioning into consulting from academia. Q&A will be included.
When: October 18, 2018 @ 6:30pm Eastern time
Where: Virtual
Click here to register<https://talent.bcg.com/Events?folderId=10019100&source=Event&tags=adc%7Csltadc2018>

Note for all virtual events:
•    You may use your computer to attend the virtual events, webcam is not needed
•   Log-in information to the event will be emailed to you at least 2 hours prior to the session
•    We recommend you register, even if you’re unable to attend!
•    We will distribute a recording of the content to everyone who registered

Applying for BCG

For advanced degree students, looking to finish school and start a full-time position within the next 6 months, we encourage you to apply to one or both of the job positions below.  Applicants will be notified of their applicant status within 2-3 weeks.  Due to our hiring needs, we are looking for candidates to start as soon as January or February 2019.

BCG Generalist Consultant
Application link here<https://talent.bcg.com/apply/FolderDetail/Full-time-Application/10013666>

Generalist consultants work on varied projects across topics and industries analyzing problems, discovering insights, delivering recommendations, and making change happen for our clients.  We hire all types of advanced degree backgrounds and concentrations (PhD, MD, JD, Post-doc).  Learn about this role here.

BCG GAMMA Data Scientist
Application link here<https://talent.bcg.com/apply/FolderDetail/Gamma-Full-time-Application/10020534>

Data scientists design and build powerful, analytics-based solutions in order to help our clients tackle their business problems.  BCG GAMMA hires candidates with advanced degrees with excellent academic achievements in a field linked to computer science, applied mathematics, statistics, machine learning, etc; relevant first experience in data science; experience with R, python and/or matlab, machine learning or deep learning. Learn more about this role here.<https://www.bcg.com/en-us/beyond-consulting/bcg-gamma/default.aspx>

But before you apply!  Let us help you turn your academic CV into a business style resume.

Title: BCG Resume Writing Workshop<https://vision.bcg.com/portals/#/downloadcollection/{b9b1931c-091e-4605-a55d-2ca7eea52714}>
Password: bcgadc
Expiration date: January 30, 2019
Not compatible with internet explorer browser

To learn more about BCG and ADCs, please visit our website<https://www.bcg.com/en-us/careers/path/consulting/advanced-degrees/overview.aspx>.  To learn more about our interview process, you can watch helpful videos.<https://www.bcg.com/en-us/careers/roles/consulting/interview-resources.aspx>  If you have questions please email adcrecruiting at bcg.com<mailto:adcrecruiting at bcg.com> or your local campus recruiter Obrien.caroline at bcg.com<mailto:Obrien.caroline at bcg.com>

We look forward to getting to know you better!

You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email lists.

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu>