[GWAMIT] Interesting events!

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue Nov 27 22:11:55 EST 2018

Hi GW at MIT members,

We hope you had a great Thanksgiving break!

You might find the following events interesting - check them out, they are happening soon!

Impacting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion on a Non-Academic Track (flyer attached)

When: Wednesday Nov. 28th, 2:30-3:30 pm
Where: room 4-149
Sign-up: here<http://signup.mit.edu/1428569355>

For many of us, our professional identity is formed during our graduate studies through the lens of our academic mentors and research agenda.  By graduation we have been equipped with the skills necessary to thrive in the higher education landscape and navigate the path to becoming a tenured professor. But, what does it take to grow our careers outside of academia?
Attend this fireside chat session with Rochelle L. Williams, Co-PI and Project Director of the ARC Network, as she shares how untangling her identity from the tenure track process led to a career in diversity, equity, and inclusion within nonprofit organizations.  She will discuss how your strengths and transferable skills can develop and impact national policy.

About the Speaker:
Rochelle L. Williams, Ph.D. is the Project Director and Co-Principal Investigator for the ADVANCE Resource Coordination (ARC) Network with the Association for Women in Science (AWIS).  The ARC Network, funded by the National Science Foundation under award number HRD-1740860, recognizes the value of intersectionality, intentionality, and connecting inclusiveness to organizational principles and practices. With a primary focus on issues of gender equity for faculty in higher education science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines, the ARC Network empowers the community to move knowledge on systemic change forward and to fluently adapt existing resources to their organizational, departmental, and demographic contexts.
To learn more about participating in the network and to receive our electronic updates visit www.EquityInSTEM.org<http://www.equityinstem.org/>.

GW at MIT Title IX: take action, show support for survivors!

Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos released proposed Title IX rules and regulations. According to the ACLU, "the new rule inappropriately tips the scales in favor of the accused and against those who report sexual assault." These changes would make our schools less safe for survivors and make it much harder to hold perpetrators of sexual and domestic violence accountable.

But it's not too late! We have 60 days to stop these rules before they take effect. Take action!

* To add your name in support of survivors' rights, please sign and share our open letter.

*<https://tinyurl.com/handsoffix-openletter> We are also planning an action at the Department of Education regional center in Boston during the first week of December. Check out our Facebook event<https://www.facebook.com/events/313959289190425/> for updates!

* Participate in the comment period:  regulations.gov > search 2018-OCR-0064 (should be up soon!)

We'll send a brief summary of the proposed changes soon.
For now, here<https://www.chronicle.com/article/What-You-Need-to-Know-About/245118> and here<https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-statement-secretary-devoss-proposed-rule-title-ix> are some articles on the topic.
The full report is available here<https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/title-ix-nprm.pdf>.

GW at MIT and AMITA: Ellen Swallow Richards Birthday Party and AMITA Holiday Party

When: Saturday, December 8th 2pm-4pm
Where:  6th Floor Building 9 (Samuel Tak Lee Building). 105 Mass. Ave. Cambridge
RSVP: here<http://amita.alumgroup.mit.edu/s/1314/2015/club-class-main.aspx?sid=1314&gid=20&pgid=45989&content_id=48247>

You're invited to join GWAMIT and AMITA in celebrating the legacy of Ellen Swallow Richards, the first woman admitted to MIT.

Not only was she MIT's first woman graduate, but she was also MIT's first woman instructor. She was a pioneer in public health and environmental science, whose research helped set the first water-quality standards in the United States. Every year, AMITA comes together with current students to honor Ellen Swallow Richards birthday (December 3rd, 1842) and celebrate the holiday season.  This year, GWAMIT is happy to be co-hosting the event.

Yulefest 2018

Karissa Bollinger - Assistant Fitness Director at MIT Recreation - is throwing a team together for the Yulefest 5k<https://www.cambridge5k.com/yulefest/> in Harvard on 12/9 and she would love for you to join!

You can sign up for the team here<https://yulefest.eventbrite.com/?team_token=2190233-70404> until December 1st.
Questions? Contact Karissa! (office: 617-253-2022 | cell: 610-533-1325 | email: karissab at mit.edu<mailto:karissab at mit.edu>).

Volunteer for a research study!

We invite you to participate in a research study at the Sensorimotor Technology Realization in Immersive Virtual Environments (STRIVE) Center run by MIT Lincoln Laboratory. The goal of the study will be to improve our understanding of human-exoskeleton adaptation. As a part of this experiment, you will be asked to participate in a study over the course of two days consisting of a series of sensorimotor & cognitive tests as well as multiple blocks of exoskeleton-aided walking.

You may be considered for this research study if you are a healthy adult (18 years or older). Participation will be on a volunteer basis, and no compensation will be provided for this research study.
If you are interested in learning more, please contact the researcher at adgupta at mit.edu<mailto:adgupta at mit.edu>.