[GWAMIT] Newsletter, November 20

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Tue Nov 20 21:50:30 EST 2018

GWAMIT Newsletter

View this email in your browser<https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?e=&u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=e738f9fdb0>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/422a824a-ff70-469b-9dbb-febf6ea71dd9.png]

GW at MIT Newsletter
November 20, 2018
[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/6ea61e5d-0708-4736-b6ba-dde8a08e7af1.png]

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-link-48.png]<http://www.gwamit.org/>

Website<http://www.gwamit.org/>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-forwardtofriend-48.png]<mailto:gwamit-exec@mit.edu>

Email<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-facebook-48.png]<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>

Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-twitter-48.png]<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>

Twitter<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-instagram-48.png]<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>

Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>

Message from the GWAMIT Board:

We wish you a very happy Thanksgiving!

- The GW at MIT Board

Event overview:

GW at MIT:

1. GW at MIT Running Group (Nov 24)
2. GW at MIT: Impacting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion on a Non-Academic Track (Nov 28)
3. GW at MIT and AMITA: Ellen Swallow Richards Birthday Party and AMITA Holiday Party​ (Dec 8)
4. GW at MIT Title IX: take action, show support for survivors!
5. GW at MIT Empowerment Conference Survey

THANKSGIVING & FESTIVITIES:

6. Edgerton Thanksgiving (Nov 22)
7. Friday after Thanksgiving Chain Reaction (Nov 23)
8. Decorate MIT for the Holidays! (Nov 28)
9. Winterfest 2018! (Nov 29)

WORK-LIFE BALANCE:

10. Think Big: Identify Goals and Set Priorities (Nov 27)
11. Choosing Quality Senior Care (Nov 29)

 MISCELLANEOUS:

12. LGBTQ Spirituality & Faith Series (Nov 27)
13. AWIS panel (Nov 28)
14. Hack for Inclusion 2019
15. Horizons fellowship

Did you know ... ?

Big Sister's mission is to ignite girls’ passion and power to succeed through positive mentoring relationships with women and enrichment programs that support girls’ healthy development.

Ultimately, their vision is to create a mentor-rich community in which every girl has access to the individual nurturing, guidance, and support she needs to become a confident, competent and caring adult.

Interested in becoming a mentor? You can find more information here<https://www.bigsister.org/about-us>.

Storied Women of MIT:

Dorothy Walcott Weeks
(  1893 - 1990 )

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/982a16da-eb51-4554-918e-3c94a25a06a2.jpg]

(click here<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqR0zNzvMMU> to see video about her)

" There are various ways of handling life, just as there are various ways in going up a mountain... I've always felt that I've had to bushwhack. There was no regular path. But it takes more skill or luck to bushwhack. Who should object to being required to develop more skill? "

GW at MIT event details

1. GW at MIT Running Group

When: every Saturday morning, 9:30 AM
Where: Meet at Student Center (Alchemist Statue), MassAve

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/8aa1c300-ded2-4191-90a8-e4c75a7b0dff.jpg]

We will meet at 9:30 am by the statue outside of the student center (the Alchemist), and leave soon after for a lovely 3 mile run along the edge of the Charles River. We will end our run at Flour Bakery + Cafe on Mass Ave, and have a coffee or a drink, courtesy of GWAMIT.  All levels welcome. Hope to see you there!

2. GW at MIT: Impacting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion on a Non-Academic Track

When:  Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2:30-3:30 pm
Where: room 4-149
RSVP: here<http://signup.mit.edu/1428569355>
[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/a78cb240-795c-4792-b8c3-44710da2d850.jpg]

For many of us, our professional identity is formed during our graduate studies through the lens of our academic mentors and research agenda.  By graduation, we have been equipped with the skills necessary to thrive in the higher education landscape and navigate the path to becoming a tenured professor. But, what does it take to grow our careers outside of academia?

Attend this fireside chat session with Rochelle L. Williams, Co-PI and Project Director of the ARC Network, as she shares how untangling her identity from the tenure track process led to a career in diversity, equity, and inclusion within nonprofit organizations.  She will discuss how your strengths and transferable skills can develop and impact national policy.

3. GW at MIT and AMITA: Ellen Swallow Richards Birthday Party and AMITA Holiday Party

When: Saturday, December 8th 2pm-4pm
Where:  6th Floor Building 9 (Samuel Tak Lee Building). 105 Mass. Ave. Cambridge
RSVP: here<http://amita.alumgroup.mit.edu/s/1314/2015/club-class-main.aspx?sid=1314&gid=20&pgid=45989&content_id=48247>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/056c33a7-8529-4019-8ca7-d24404471038.jpg]

You’re invited to join GWAMIT and AMITA  in celebrating the legacy of Ellen Swallow Richards, the first woman admitted to MIT.

Not only was she MIT’s first woman graduate, but she was also MIT’s first woman instructor. She was a pioneer in public health and environmental science, whose research helped set the first water-quality standards in the United States. Every year, AMITA comes together with current students tohonor Ellen Swallow Richards birthday (December 3rd, 1842) and celebrate the holiday season.  This year, GWAMIT is happy to be co-hosting the event.

4. GW at MIT Title IX: take action, show support for survivors!

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/4c673d47-f507-4ac7-ab83-9b2b58c3831a.jpg]

Friday morning, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos released proposed Title IX rules and regulations. According to the ACLU, “the new rule inappropriately tips the scales in favor of the accused and against those who report sexual assault.” These changes would make our schools less safe for survivors and make it much harder to hold perpetrators of sexual and domestic violence accountable.

But it’s not too late! We have 60 days to stop these rules before they take effect. Take action!

•  To add your name in support of survivors’ rights, please sign and share our open letter<https://tinyurl.com/handsoffix-openletter>.

• We are also planning an action at the Department of Education regional center in Boston during the first week of December. Check out our Facebook event<https://www.facebook.com/events/313959289190425/> for updates!

• Participate in the comment period:  regulations.gov > search 2018-OCR-0064 (should be up soon!)

We'll send a brief summary of the proposed changes soon. For now, here<https://www.chronicle.com/article/What-You-Need-to-Know-About/245118> and here<https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-statement-secretary-devoss-proposed-rule-title-ix> are some articles on the topic.

The full report is available here<https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/title-ix-nprm.pdf>.

5. GW at MIT Empowerment Conference Survey

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/28b18a8b-2cad-435d-aaf5-8311c9ecb172.png]

Thanks to those who filled out our post-Empowerment conference survey!

For those who may have missed it, the link is here<https://goo.gl/forms/tzTgJX1FVD7dsrGf1>. Your feedback is important to us - it will help us plan our events to better suit the needs of our community.

Thanksgivig and Festivities event details

6. Edgerton Thanksgiving

When: Thursday, November 22. 3-5pm
Where: Edgerton House Large Lounge 143 Albany St, Cambridge MA

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/c5cfb6ea-7210-424d-ac32-9c36a0ebf7f4.jpg]

Come join us to give thanks and celebrate the break!!

What better way to give thanks than eating a large quantity of food together?

Turkey, mashed potatoes, pies and more!

7. Friday after Thanksgiving Chain Reaction!

When: Friday, November 23. 1-4pm.
Where: Rockwell Cage Gymnasium 106 Vassar St, Cambridge, MA 02139

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/080c73c6-6b26-411c-8188-60c5c976ee19.jpg]

Celebrating its 21st year!
Attend as a spectator or build your own Rube Goldberg-esque link and be part of a giant chain reaction at our annual Friday After Thanksgiving Chain Reaction event! Popular hosts Arthur Ganson and Jeff Lieberman will be on hand as teams put together their own contraptions, they’re linked together, and a ball is set in motion moving from start to finish in a giant loop.
Bring your families, bring your friends. This a one-of-a-kind, must-be-seen-to-be-believed engineering feat you won’t want to miss. Registration opens October 1.

8. Decorate MIT for the Holidays!

When: Wednesday, November 28. 9am - 12 pm.
Where: Building W20: Stratton Student Center, 306

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/6ee6187d-ae10-4641-a74f-0469716b9b50.jpg]

Let's decorate MIT for the holidays! Every year, the Women's League creates the large holiday wreaths that hang at the entrance to 77 Mass Ave. We provide the greenery, the glitter, the ribbons and the guidance - just come along and help out as we get into the holiday spirit. RSVP to let us know you're coming, or just stop by on the day.

9. Winterfest 2018!

When: Thursday, November 29. 3.30-5pm.
Where: Building 32, Charles M, Vest Student Street and Building 76 (Koch Institute Lobby)

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/b687676b-4b53-4d4c-80e3-045d8d03f6ea.jpg]

President Rafael Reif and Mrs. Christine Reif invite the MIT community to Winterfest 2018!

Join your friends and colleagues for refreshments and a seasonal holiday social.

All from the MIT community are welcome!

Work-Life balance event details

10. Think Big: Identify Goals and Set Priorities

When: Tuesday, November 27. 12-1.30pm.
Where:  Building E25, 401

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/890d081e-7500-44bf-878f-436794ce8035.jpg]

Presenter: Anna Robinson, M.A., WLCP®, SHRM-CP

This collaborative workshop is intended to help you set clear, measurable life goals that are directly informed by your core values and aspirations. During this session, you will:

  *   Learn about the importance of identifying and honoring your unique core values.
  *   Define and explore the core values that motivate you.
  *   Work together with others to prioritize and set goals toward building a successful and enriching life.

Due to high demand, this workshop is only open to members of the MIT community

11. Choosing Quality Senior Care

When: Thursday, November 29. 12-1.30pm
Where: Building NE49, 5000

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/890d081e-7500-44bf-878f-436794ce8035.jpg]

Presenter – MIT Work-Life Center Staff

These monthly introductory discussions are designed specifically for those who are currently caring for anaging parent, or those who may be doing so in the future and are interested in planning ahead. You will learn about:

  *   Different housing and care options for seniors
  *   Costs of various types of senior care
  *   How to find and evaluate your senior care options
  *   MIT benefits that can help support your aging loved one
Choosing Quality Senior Care sessions, which are open to the entire MIT community, are held monthly from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. in Building NE49-5000.

Miscellaneous

12. LGBTQ Spirituality & Faith Series

When: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 5:30pm to 7:00pm
Where: Building 50: Walker Memorial, MIT Rainbow Lounge 50-250

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/43a6befb-e5c9-480c-b8ca-c812aef03357.jpg]

Join us for dinner and conversation as we embark on a series exploring multiple aspects of identity in a variety of religious and spiritual traditions. Hear from faith leaders about their journey through the intersections of sexual orientation, gender identity, and their religious, spiritual, or ethical tradition. All are welcome.

In conversation with Magda Mohamed and Nabil Khan. Moderated by ORSEL’s newly appointed Advisor for LGBTQ+ Affairs, Cody J. Sanders.

Magda Mohamed is a PhD candidate in the Department of Religion at Boston University, where she focuses on gender, sexuality, and embodied theologies in American Islam. She earned her M.Div. at Harvard Divinity School in 2015, and currently serves as the Muslim chaplain at Groton School. Earlier this year she co-founded the Union Square Halaqa, a woman-centered and queer-affirming Muslim prayer gathering.

Nabil Khan is a co-founder of Queer Muslims of Boston (est. 2013), and also a cofounder of the Union Square HalaQa group. He served as president of the MSA at his alma mater. He is a researcher at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Co-hosted by LBGTQ at MIT and the Office of Religious, Spiritual, and Ethical Life.

13. AWIS panel

When: Wednesday, Nov 28. 5:30p - 7:30p
Where: Picower Institute, 43 Vassar St, Cambridge, MA 02139
Website: web<http://www.massawis.org/event/learntolead2018/>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/25db6e15-03fc-4e73-b526-476ed0dc8469.png]

MASS AWIS mission is to support women in STEM and create opportunities for their professional development. MASS AWIS is planning to launch a new “Leadership Program” for MASS AWIS members with primary goal of enhancing leadership skills and professional presence that is necessary to succeed as leaders.

Join us for the “Leadership Program” Kickoff event to discuss leadership styles, trajectories and endpoints, featuring the Panel Leaders:

  *   Sue Windham-Bannister, PhD., President of the Association of Women in Science, Managing Partner of Biomedical Innovation Advisers; Former President and CEO of MLSC.
  *   Elliott Antman, MD., Professor at Harvard Medical School, Former President of American Heart Association
  *   David Raiser, PhD., CEO of Aldatu Biosciences.
  *   Sheila Widnall, PhD., Institute Professor and Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Former Secretary of the Air Force.

14. Hack for Inclusion 2019

When: February 22-23
Where: MIT MediaLab
Website: web<http://www.mitbreakingthemold.com/>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/50775c51-db68-44af-b1e2-40fe9edc6227.png]

This year, Breaking the Mold and Hacking Discrimination are partnering to create:

Hack for Inclusion- a hackathon to combat bias

Sign up to join our email list for updates on when tickets go live and more here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe3OTQFyyLmgTYMO2wDPy1o_n_vsRCmTRTsRUqZx6fTPZTaZQ/viewform>.

Together, we will have a greater impact on students, businesses and communities. Visit the website for more information.

15. Horizons fellowship

Website: web<http://www.joinhorizons.com/>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2/images/69c367fa-2019-4e34-9ae8-fcfa898a8c45.png]

The Horizons Fellowship supports 200 outstanding university students on a fully-funded experience in San Francisco, in their pursuit to become leaders in technology. Our programs provide immersive software engineering and web/mobile development courses geared towards high-achieving college students. Students need not have a computer science background!

Horizons students have gone on to receive offers from firms such as Google, Slack, Yelp, Amazon, BCG, Visa, J.P. Morgan, and more

Past Horizonites have come from a variety of schools and backgrounds. Applicants have hailed from Harvard, Princeton, Yale, UPenn/Wharton, Columbia, Northwestern, Brown, Michigan and more.

Interested students can start an application here<http://www.joinhorizons.com/fellowship?email=gwamit-exec@mit.edu&school=MassachusettsInstituteofTechnology&club=GraduateWomenatMIT>!

You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email lists.

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu<mailto:gwamit-sec at mit.edu>