[GWAMIT] Newsletter - June 18, 2018

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Jun 18 21:29:12 EDT 2018

 Graduate Women at MIT Weekly Newsletter

GWAMIT Newsletter
View this email in your browser
<https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?e=[UNIQID]&u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=06fe45037d>
GW at MIT Newsletter June 18, 2018
<http://www.gwamit.org/> Website <http://www.gwamit.org/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu> Email <gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit> Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb> Twitter <http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/> Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
Message from the GWAMIT Board:

Dear GW at MIT Members,

This is the first of a series of newsletters in which we will feature *Storied
Women of MIT* through short, 1-minute videos giving an overview of
their lives. Check out this week's video on Mildred Dresselhaus!

- The GW at MIT Board
*Did you know ... ?*

   - *MIT Advisor Hub *is an online platform where MIT students can connect
   with MIT alumni willing to give career and grad school advice. Find more
   about it below!

   - Are you a student in Gender and Women's studies? Consider applying to
   the *Mother Board Writing Prize* (web
   <http://web.mit.edu/gcws/students/mother-board-writing-prize.html>)!
   Deadline: July 15.

   - New *All Gender Restrooms* in the Infinite and Media Lab!

*Storied Women of MIT:*

*Mildred Dresselhaus*
(1930 - 2017)

(click here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0oyNChFf74> to see video
about her)

*Event overview:*

*GW at MIT:      *  1. GW at MIT Salsa Lesson: lead and follow! (June 19)
       2. GW at MIT Running Group: Saturday Run & Coffee! (June 23)

*SPORTS-RELATED:*

       3. MIT Race for Diversity Run (June 23)

*CULTURAL:*

     4. MIT Public Art Tour - Campus Highlights (June 28)

*PROFESSIONAL/CAREER/SKILLS:*

     5. P.O.W.E.R. Seminar:  Career Paths - Dr. Charmaine Demanuele (June
19)
     6. MIT F.E.W. Seminar: Clear the Clutter! (June 20)
     7. BCG Women Breakfast (July 19)
     8. MIT-Harvard Case Competition (July 23 - August 3)
     9. MIT Advisor Hub (online platform)
*GW at MIT event details*

*1. Learn to Lead and Follow: Salsa Dancing!*

*When: *June 19, 7-9 PM
*Where:* W20-491
*RSVP:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/learn-to-lead-and-follow-salsa-dancing-tickets-45537096682?utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new_event_email&utm_term=viewmyevent_button>

Join GWAMIT for a salsa dancing lesson at the Stratton Student Center,
Tuesday, June 19th at 7 pm. Monika Avello and Yasmin Chau will teach us how
to lead and follow to the rhythm of salsa! Come with or without a partner.
Everyone is welcome!
*2. GW at MIT Running Group: Saturday Run & Coffee!*

*When: *Every Saturday Morning, 9:30 AM
*Where:* Meet at Student Center (Alchemist Statue), MassAve
*Website:* link <https://www.facebook.com/events/377294756094945/>

Join GWAMIT for a lovely Saturday morning run along the Charles! We will
run approximately 3 miles and will make sure to run in groups or pairs to
accommodate all levels. Meet outside of Flour on Mass Ave for a quick
stretch, please don’t be more than 5 minutes late! Coffee courtesy of
GWAMIT after we finish.
*Sports-related event details*

*3. MIT Race for Diversity *

*When: *Saturday, June 23. 11AM - 3PM
*Where: *Morrison Track, MIT
*Website: * web
<http://calendar.mit.edu/event/mit_race_for_diversity_2018#.WyaN4oozo2x>
*RSVP:* here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc1ybIDr2bQU4kc4emwfH0zQci9P9EHgEGqq9jvkRR6-nMOtQ/viewform>
Race For Diversity Run (RFD 2018) is an MIT faculty-staff-student
engagement program to celebrate diversity and inclusion at MIT. It is aimed
at highlighting the spirit of our multicultural community here at MIT and
our shared pursuit of excellence in research and education. It is a FREE
event! We invite you to join us for the RFD 2018.

     11.00 am   Registration
     11.30 am   Run starts
     12.45 pm   Lunch
     1.30 pm     Volleyball match
     3.00 pm    End
*Cultural event details*

*4. MIT Public Art Tour (Summer Series) - Campus Highlights *

*When: *Thursday, June 28. 5.30PM
*Where:* Building E15, MIT List Visual Arts Center
*RSVP:* here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/public-art-tour-campus-highlights-tickets-46947938548>

Join MIT List Visual Arts Center on a public art tour showcasing art and
architecture highlights across campus. View artworks on this museum staff
led tour of the List Center’s public art collection of renowned
contemporary artists and learn– including, I.M. Pei, Sol LeWitt, Anish
Kapoor, Frank Gehry, Ursula von Rydingsvard, and more – whose work is sited
across MIT’s campus.

This tour is presented in conjunction with the Public Art Tour Summer
Series. Tours will be held on the last Thursday evening each month, June
through September. There is limited space available. Advanced registration
is required.
*Career/Skills event details*

*5. P.O.W.E.R. Seminar:  Career Paths - Dr. Charmaine Demanuele *

*When: *Tuesday, June 19. 3 - 4 PM. Social hour 4-5PM with coffee, tea,
cookies and fruit!
*Where: *MIT. Chipman room 6-104
*RSVP: *here  <https://goo.gl/forms/FTYoMDpN2VZkv2n82>

POWER’s professional career development seminars focus on the speaker’s
personal experiences, insights into their current work, as well as
work-life integration issues. Dr. Demanuele will discuss what has
contributed to her success, the challenges she has overcome, and advice for
current postdocs. We hope that the interactions will assist postdocs in
navigating their careers and will also help them build professional
connections.

Speaker bio:

Dr. Demanuele received her B.Eng from University of Malta in Electrical
Engineering in 2006.  She then pursued her doctoral studies at University
of Southampton in Neural Engineering, Neural Science, and Psychology.
After completing her dissertation in 2010, she became a postdoctoral
researcher at the Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience
Heidelberg-Mannheim.  In 2013 she became a postdoctoral research fellow in
Psychiatric Neuroimaging at Harvard Medical School. She was an Insight
Health Data Science Fellow in 2016 and became a Data Scientist at Biogen.
She is now the Associate Director of Biostatistics, Early Clinical
Development, Neuroscience at Pfizer.

Open to the entire MIT community.

*6.  MIT F.E.W. Seminar: Clear the Clutter.      Organize your home,
office, life & finances *

*When: *Wednesday, June 20. 5.30 - 7 PM
*Where: *700 Technology Square Branch

Does your home or office need organization? Do your finances feel out of
control? Sometimes clutter sneaks up on us and can make life unbearable.
Taking the time to declutter; clearing our physical surroundings, and
putting our finances in order, can assist us in improving our physical and
mental state. But how do you get started? Thankfully, in this session, our
F.E.W. experts from Organiz-ER and Society of Grownups will help you begin
thinking of ways to start this process.

If your finances need a bit of organization, Rachel and Tyler from Society
of Grownups will show you ways to get them back on track! We’ll share
recommendations on how to organize debt and how to pay it off in ways that
make the most sense.

For ways to declutter physical space whether it’s at home or the office,
we’ve invited Susan Walko, owner of Organiz-ER, to talk about organization
and how to begin the process as well as keep things orderly. Her work
includes:

   - Organizing the workspace via improved business systems, developing and
   implementing an organization plan, and focusing on continuous improvement.
   - Organizing the home via personal organization skills – whether it’s
   downsizing, working with hoarders or a whole house clean out.
   - Organizing life by coaching individuals to remove the chaos
   surrounding their being.

Did you know it only takes 15 minutes a day to remain organized? This
session will discuss daily routines and strategies on what to do during the
15 minutes to keep yourself organized – no matter what aspect of your life
needs some organization.

As always, our events are open to all, members, non-members, men, women,
and anyone else interested in joining the conversation!
*7.  BCG Women Breakfast *

*When: *July 19, 9-10.30AM
*Where: *MIT Campus, room 4-149
*RSVP:* here
<https://talent.bcg.com/Events?folderId=10019319&emailCampaignId=237>

Join us for a breakfast with BCG women-identified to learn more about BCG
and our Women at BCG network. This breakfast is open to women PhDs, JDs, MDs,
medical residents, and post-docs from Harvard and MIT.
*8.  MIT-Harvard Case Competition *

*When: *July 23 - August 3
*Website: * web <http://www.harvardmitcasecompetition.com/>
*Application link:* apply
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeMPZtBIJvv9MstMGdVTfDXdl0wjApv-CUfDkwyJp92Tslv2A/viewform>
(deadline:
June 29)

The Consulting Club at MIT is pleased to announce that application for the
2018 Harvard vs. MIT Case Competition is now open!

Now in its tenth year, the Case Competition is our largest annual event,
organized each summer in collaboration with the Harvard Graduate Consulting
Club. Over the course of the two week event, you will work in a team of
four to tackle a business case posed by a real client while networking with
representatives from top consulting and industry firms. You will have the
opportunity to deliver your recommendation at the closing ceremony to the
client and a panel of consultant judges; the winning three teams will
receive a cash prize. This is an excellent opportunity to gain business
experience and build your resume.

*Benefits: *

     -Intensive teamwork and leadership experience.
     -A chance to try out consulting for yourself, and to drive value for a
real business.
     -Networking opportunities with consultant and industry mentors.

*Eligibility:*

     -Affiliation:
            a) All graduate and professional students from Harvard and MIT
            b) All research fellows from Harvard, MIT, and affiliated
institutions
     -NO prior business knowledge or consulting experience required.

In order to participate, you must be able to *attend* the following *mandatory
events*:

     - Kick-off Event: Monday, July 23rd, 2-6 PM
     - Consultant Mentoring Session: Friday, July 27th, 2-5 PM (45 min time
slot)
     - Industry Mentoring Session: Monday, July 30th, 2-5 PM (45 min time
slot)
     - Semifinal, Final, and Reception: Friday, August 3rd, 9 AM-6 PM
     (Note that all events will be held at either MIT or Harvard)

Optional event: Pre-kick-off Networking Night: Friday, July 20th (Venue TBD)

For more information, please see the Case Competition website, and
particularly the FAQ page for participants. Please direct all questions to
the Case Competition planning team at harvardmitcasecompetition at gmail.com.
We look forward to reading your applications!
*9.  MIT Advisor Hub*

*Website:* web <https://alumniadvisors.mit.edu/>

Interested in reaching out to MIT alumni that are eager to help you on a
variety of topics? Advisors Hub is a great new online tool that connects
alumni who have expressed interest in providing career advice and mentoring
to current MIT affiliates and other alumni. Students can book appointments
with alumni to have career conversations like "Navigating a PhD program,"
advice for politics in your research lab, exploring jobs outside of
academia, etc.; to review their resume; to do mock interviews; and more.
Advisors Hub also has a library of over 200 webinars created by industry
experts and external educational partners available to help educate and
inspire you on a variety of topics.

You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
this list.

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu

This email was sent to << Test Email Address >>
*why did I get this?*
<https://gwamit.us14.list-manage.com/about?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=50eef1f240&e=[UNIQID]&c=06fe45037d>
    unsubscribe from this list
<https://gwamit.us14.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=50eef1f240&e=[UNIQID]&c=06fe45037d>
    update subscription preferences
<https://gwamit.us14.list-manage.com/profile?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=50eef1f240&e=[UNIQID]>
GW at MIT · 77 Mass Ave · Cambridge, Ma 02139 · USA

[image: Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&afl=1>