[GWAMIT] GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of February 13, 2017

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Feb 13 01:13:45 EST 2017

 GWAMIT Newsletter - Week of February 13, 2017
GWAMIT Weekly Announcements
View this email in your browser
<http://us14.campaign-archive2.com/?u=e2397380ea9467186e5aeb1b2&id=d440d64ef4&e=[UNIQID]>
<http://gwamit.mit.edu/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gwamit>
<http://twitter.com/gwamitweb>
<https://www.instagram.com/gwamitweb/>
<gwamit-exec at mit.edu>
<http://gwamit.scripts.mit.edu/gwamit-exec/category/gwamit-blog/>
February 13, 2017
------------------------------
*IN BRIEF*

*GW at MIT:*
1. Archer Roose Tasting and Discussion with Founder Marian Leitner (Feb. 15)
2. Sign up to organize the 2017 GWAMIT Empowerment Conference! (now)
3. Event Planning Bootcamp (TBD)

*MIT:*
4. I is plural: Participate in art/fashion project to highlight diverse
inner voices within the MIT community (now)
5. Do Work You Love, A Career Exploration Session (Feb. 13)
6. [Cheneyroom] February @ the Cheney Room! (Feb. 14/24)
7. [MITWGS] MIT Media Lab Talk: Education / Technology / Equity (Feb. 15)
8. [GCWS] Feminisms Unbound roundtable: Trans/Multi/Mediations (Feb. 15)
9. Mens et Manus America initiative kick-off event: Screening of "Exit
Zero" (Feb. 16)
10. Ice Hockey Clinics (Feb. 17 / Mar. 10)
11. Sign up for Women's-Only IM Soccer League (Feb. 19)
12. [MITWGS] Comedian Leslie Jones coming to campus (Feb. 19)
13. Nominate for Graduate Women of Excellence 2017 (Feb. 20)
14. 2017 Breaking the Mold Hackathon (Feb. 25)
15. Announcing a new work-life service: MIT GAIN (Spring 2017)

*Outside MIT:*
16. Gender, Politics, and Imagination: An Afternoon with Jennifer Finney
Boylan (Feb. 16)
17. Northeastern University Lean Green Belt Training (Feb. 24-27)
18. [Harvard] 2017 Dynamic Women in Business Conference: Women Empowered
(Feb. 25)
19. CALL for ART MOTHER TONGUE Pan-Asian Arts Boston-Area Female Artists
(Mar.)
Dear GW at MIT Members,

Hope you stay warm in such weather!

The wine tasting and discussion with founder of Archer Roose is to be held
this Wednesday. Looking forward to seeing many of you!

Due to the snow storm last Thursday, we have to cancel our crash course
Event Planning Bootcamp. But we will reschedule it in the near future and
we'll send out another email.

The GWAMIT Board
------------------------------
*FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS*
************ GW at MIT ************

*1. Archer Roose Tasting and Discussion with Founder, Marian Leitner*
*When:* Wednesday, February 15th, 5:00PM - 6:30PM
*Where:* MIT Building W20 | Student Center, Public Dining Rooms 1&2
*Sign-up:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScLPzqErQzcSGSIi6MoUIjKi9AMAfJn1gjKIViJLHmj70JjMQ/viewform?c=0&w=1>
Come socialize with graduate women across MIT and talk to entrepreneur and
founder Marian Leitner about her experiences!
Her newest company, Archer Roose, sells quality and eco-friendly boxed wine.
We will get to experience her product while we learn about her journey.
Bring 21+ ID.
Light snacks and non-alcoholic drinks will also be provided.
Spots are limited.
Please sign up to reserve your seat.
*2. Sign up to organize the 2017 GWAMIT Empowerment Conference!*
*When:* now
*Sign-up:* link
<https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2fmit%2fstudent>
We are currently recruiting organizers for our annual Spring Empowerment
Conference, held during Spring semester 2017:
* 2 Co-Chairs of the Empowerment Conference: Conference Co-Chairs lead the
committee members, set the conference theme, and oversee all general
planning of the conference.
* Event Leads: Each conference has 4-5 Event Leads who spearhead a single
event (either an invited speaker, a panel, a workshop, etc.). Event Leads
are part of the conference committee.
* Committee Members: attend regular meetings, contribute to theme
brainstorming, logistics, publicity, and volunteer during events.
*Please note that currently the conference is scheduled for April
10th-14th, 2017.
Please contact the GWAMIT Executive Board at gwamit-exec at mit.edu if you
have any questions. We also encourage you to read more about previous
leaders and events on our website: http://gwamit.mit.edu.   Thank you for
your interest!!!
*3. Event Planning Bootcamp*
*When: *TBD
*Where: *TBD
General crash course to conference and event planning at MIT: Ever struggle
with how to book a room or how to contact speakers? Come to our bootcamp
and you'll be prepared for your next event!This will also be our kick-off
event for GWAMIT's Empowerment Conference Planning Committee so if you're
interested in being a part of the committee please attend!
Refreshments will be provided.
************** MIT **************

*4. I is plural: Participate in art/fashion project to highlight diverse
inner voices within the MIT community*
*Sign-up*: link <https://goo.gl/forms/PMmDrXLBN7y5jiSz2>
We are working on a new type of wearable tech installation that represents
the links  between individual and collective feminine conscience. Our MIT
community is a treasure of diversity and we want to remind that  very
individual of this community is multifaceted. Some of our facets are
suppressed, either by inner personal conflicts or societal pressures. This
is particularly true for women and for the feminine parts in all of us. In
hope to express and communicate the diverse inner attributes of our
community, we invite you to be represented in this art project.
If you are interested to know more about this work, join us at the opening
night of Open Mind::Open Art Gallery on the 16th of February. (
https://www.theartofy.com/)
Participate by filling up this google form (2min) with a color, an image
and a link to a youtube/vimeo video of your choice. This project is about
your own inner diversity, so don’t hesitate to participate multiple times! (
https://goo.gl/forms/PMmDrXLBN7y5jiSz2 )
- Alisha Panjwani and Rébecca Kleinberger
*5. Do Work You Love, A Career Exploration Session: Presented by The
Leadership Club and Career Development Office (CDO) *
*When:* Monday, February 13th, 5:30PM - 8:00PM
*Where:* MIT Building E51-151
*Register:* link
<https://sloangroups.mit.edu/leadershipandhumancapital/rsvp?id=324290>
This hands-on workshop is meant to help you explore your true passion,
vision, and opportunities for your next job and beyond.
This workshop is for people that have always excelled, but along the
traditional career path. They came to graduate school because deep down…
they know they want to do something different... but aren’t 100% sure what
that something is. They see the people around them building hard-to-define
21st century careers - with the freedom to invent, innovate and live as
they envision it. How are they building this future?
Our facilitators can show you the path you will have to walk in order to
take control over your career and build a life on your own terms. They will
inspire you with tools and ideas to help you overcome your fears and start
moving forward with purpose. You will walk away from this workshop with:
• A documentation of your values, likes/dislikes, strengths, curiosities,
etc.
• Identification of the blockers/fears holding you back from solutions to
overcome them
• Your list of tangible, immediate small steps to move you in the direction
you want to pursue
• Accountability partner(s) to support and encourage your follow-up
*6. [Cheneyroom] February @ the Cheney Room!*
*When:*February 14th - February 24th
*Where:* MIT Building 3-310
*7. [MITWGS] MIT Media Lab Talk: Education / Technology / Equity*
*When:* Wednesday, February 15th, 3:00PM - 4:30PM
*Where:*MIT Media Lab, Building E14, 3rd Floor Atrium
*Info:* link <https://www.media.mit.edu/events/mltalks-education-equality/>
Please join us at the MIT Media Lab for an ML Talk on Education,
Technology, and Equity, featuring Nichole Pinkard and Deb Roy (hosted by
Philipp Schmidt).
In theory, technology holds the promise to increase the access to and
quality of education. In practice, new tools and opportunities often seem
to exacerbate existing opportunity divides. How can we design education
systems and develop supporting technologies that create a more equitable
learning ecosystem? In this talk, Nichole Pinkard and Deb Roy will present
how they have been addressing this question across different contexts,
ranging from inner-city Chicago, to rural areas, and developing countries.
*8. [GCWS] Feminisms Unbound roundtable: Trans/Multi/Mediations*
*When:* Wednesday, February 15th, 5:30PM - 7:30PM
*Where:* MIT Building 6-321
This roundtable hosts scholars and activists who intervene in the
racialized, gendered, and queer aspects of our thoroughly mediated worlds,
perspectives, subjectivities, and selves. These participants write and
reflect critically on media forms, working within and across multiple
modalities, ranging from the conventional to the digital and the emergent.
Setting their work further apart is that these participants use media forms
creatively, purposing and repurposing them to call on their
transformational capacities in the service of vulnerable communities and
social movements.
*9. Mens et Manus America initiative kick-off event: Screening of "Exit
Zero"*
*When: *Thursday, February 16th, 7:00PM
*Where:* Wong Auditorium, E51-115
*Register:* link
<https://shass.mit.edu/news/news-2017-shass-sloan-announce-new-joint-initiative-mens-et-manus-america>
In the wake of the 2016 presidential election, it is clear that there are
major, long-term social, political, and economic issues in America that
require close attention. The Mens et Manus America initiative will convene
a series of research-informed lectures and discussion to explore these
questions over the course of the Spring 2017 term.
What can MIT do to help address current U.S. challenges? How can we use
research and rigor to inform our decisions, both as citizens and as leaders
of organizations? Join us as we frame the issues and generate ideas for
making a positive impact.
Sponsored by the School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (MIT
SHASS) and the Sloan School of Management (Sloan), the new initiative is
led by Ezra Zuckerman Sivan, Deputy Dean of Sloan, and Agustín Rayo,
Associate Dean, School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, with
participation by MIT students and members of the Sloan and MIT SHASS
faculties.

*Kickoff Event: Screening of Exit Zero*
Followed by discussion with the filmmakers
Exit Zero is a feature-length documentary by Professor Christine Walley and
Chris Boebel. It tells a personal story of the impacts of
deindustrialization and the key role it has played in expanding class
inequalities in the United States.
*10. Ice Hockey Clinics*
*When:* Friday, February 17th, 7PM-9PM, Friday, March 10th, 7PM-9PM
*Where:* Johnson Ice Rink, Z-Center
*Register:* link <http://tinyurl.com/HockeyClinicMIT>
The excellent coaching staff from the MIT Women’s Ice Hockey Club runs
clinics for the MIT community each year. It's a great opportunity for
individuals and teams to get focused developmental time.
Beginner and intermediate hockey players looking to improve their skills
and get some extra ice time. Goalies are welcome too as we will have a
special goalie coach for both days!
For more information, please contact the MIT Women's Ice Hockey Club:
club-hockey-officers at mit.edu
*11. Sign up for Women's-Only IM Soccer League*
*Sign-up by: *February 13th, 6:00AM - February 19th, 11:59PM
*Where:* MAC Court in the Z Center
*Sign-up*: www.imleagues.com under Spring 2017 -> Indoor Soccer -> C League
5v5, Women's.
Carlos and I are the managers of the MIT IM Indoor Soccer league this
semester, and we are introducing a 5v5 women's-only league for the first
time ever. We understand that people who are interested might not have
enough people to form a full team. So you can sign up as an individual on
the free agents team or register a team of at least two people. Before the
season starts, we will merge the free agents and partial teams to make full
teams. Feel free to contact us at szheng17 at mit.edu and cuevas at mit.edu if
you have questions.
-Simon and Carlos
*12. [MITWGS] Comedian Leslie Jones coming to campus*
*When:* Sunday, February 19th, 7:00PM
*Where:* Kresge Auditorium
*Lottery:* link <http://shass.mit.edu/resources/jones>
Direct from "Saturday Night Live," Leslie Jones is coming to campus!
Leslie Jones (from the 2016 Ghostbusters movie) will be coming to the MIT
campus for a comedy performance on Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 7pm in
Kresge Auditorium,  The event is open to all MIT students, faculty, and
staff.  The event is free, but tickets are required.  A ticket lottery will
be open between now and Sunday, Feb. 12 at 11:59pm.  Entrants will be able
to select up to two tickets each.
Web site and ticket lottery link: http://shass.mit.edu/resources/jones
Sponsored by The De Florez Fund for Humor
*13. Nominate for Graduate Women of Excellence 2017!*
*Deadline:* February 20th
*Link:* link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe4r47fYh76LiwaD_TlPtH0ukPOmKfQTxevWSoDIY5Mt-00Hg/closedform>
Nominate an outstanding graduate woman for Graduate Women of Excellence
2017!
We would like to announce Graduate Women of Excellence, an event to honor
graduate women who exemplify leadership and outstanding accomplishment.
Using this short form, please nominate a graduate woman who meets the
following criteria by February 20th:
1)is a leader among her peers in her example and her actions
2)is dedicated to serving the MIT community to improve the graduate student
experience
3)provides thoughtful and constructive feedback when asked for advice
4)is a catalyst for change when challenges arise
A celebration event will be held in late April for the selected honorees!
If you are interested in joining the planning team for Graduate Women of
Excellence or have any questions, please contact tahoura at mit.edu.
*14.  2017 Breaking the Mold Hackathon*
*When:* Saturday, February 25th, 2017, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
*Where:* MIT Media Lab | 75 Amherst Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
Breaking The Mold 2017: part conference, part hackathon, focused on
bringing diverse teams and skillsets together to tackle the issue of
unconscious bias.
The Breaking the Mold Hackathon is focused on leveraging MIT's community of
innovation and creativity to create solutions to hack unconscious bias. The
hackathon will being together individuals from diverse backgrounds to solve
some of the world's most pressing issues.
Research suggests that diverse groups perform better, and that a culture of
meritocracy alone is not enough to generate groups that reflect the
diversity of our society. We all have biases, conscious and unconscious,
and being aware of and managing these biases can help organizations boost
diversity among leadership groups.
Visit mitbreakingthemold.com for more informaiton!
*15. Announcing a new work-life service: MIT GAIN*
*Call:* 844-MIT-GAIN (844-648-4246)
*Visit: *MITGAIN.com
*Email: *info at mitgain.com
We would also like to remind you about a new work-life service for MIT
graduate students: MIT GAIN (Graduate Assistance and Information Network)—a
24/7 network of professionals who provide life management resources and
referrals to help make life easier.  MIT GAIN services, which are available
at no cost to MIT graduate students and their families, include:
Legal consultation
Financial consultation
Child care resources and personalized research and referrals
Elder care resources and personalized research and referrals
Relocation guidance
Career assessment
School/summer camp selection for children in grades K–12
Nutrition counseling
Resources for other life concerns, such as moving services, home repair and
cleaning services, pet care, fitness programs and trainers, and more.
We believe these work-life seminars, workshops, webinars, and MIT GAIN will
help MIT graduate students find better balance in their professional and
personal lives. We appreciate your help, as always, in communicating this
information to the broader MIT community.
************** Outside MIT **************

*16. Gender, Politics, and Imagination: An Afternoon with Jennifer Finney
Boylan*
*When:* Thursday, February 16th, 4:15PM
*Where:* Knafel Center, 10 Garden Street, Cambridge, MA
Jennifer Finney Boylan, the inaugural Anna Quindlen Writer in Residence at
Barnard College of Columbia University, will speak about privilege,
politics, and poetics. The author of 15 books, including She’s Not There: A
Life in Two Genders, the first best-selling work by a transgender American.
Boylan is also the chair of the board of GLAAD and a New York Times
contributing writer.
After Boylan’s remarks, two Harvard College students will engage her in a
wide-ranging conversation about gender and sexuality issues on and beyond
college campuses. Student Schuyler Bailar ’19 is concentrating in
psychology and is the first openly transgender athlete to compete in any
sport on an NCAA Division 1 men’s team. Jessica Fournier ’17 is
concentrating in the studies of women, gender, and sexuality and has served
as an intern at the Office of BGLTQ Student Life and a representative for
Harvard Girl*spot, an LGBTQ women’s group.
For additional program information and to register, visit
www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2017-jennifer-finney-boylan-lecture.
The event is free and open to the public. We encourage you to share this
invitation with people you know who may be interested in attending this
event.
*17. Northeastern University Lean Green Belt Training*
*When:* Friday, February 24th - Sunday, February 26th
*Where:* Northeastern Campus
*Register*: link <http://www.iisenortheastern.org/lean-training>
This three-day course provides an in-depth understanding of lean enterprise
principles and how to apply them within your organization. Your lean
journey begins with a series of interactive simulations that demonstrate
how each lean concept is applied and its impact on the process. Mapping the
process flow and identifying the activities that add value from the
customer's perspective is the cornerstone of this class.
*18.  [Harvard] 2017 Dynamic Women in Business Conference: Women Empowered*
*When:* Saturday, February 25th, 8:00PM - 6:00PM
*Where:* Spangler Center, 117 Western Ave, Boston
*Register:* link
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/26th-annual-dynamic-women-in-business-conference-at-harvard-business-school-tickets-29207397111?mc_cid=d865ea5933&mc_eid=3d0f146407>
Hosted by Women’s Student Association (WSA), a Student Club at HBS, this
conference is a powerful forum for women to learn from, share with, and
inspire one another. This annual conference brings together over 1,000
women -- including students, alumnae, faculty, distinguished business
leaders, and community members -- to explore the opportunities and
challenges that women encounter in today’s business world.
This year's conference theme is "WOMEN EMPOWERED" More information can be
found on our website: http://wsahbsclub.com/conference/
If you are arriving early as a prospective or recently admitted student,
you may also consider joining us on Friday, February 24th for a campus tour
and information session.
*19. CALL for ART MOTHER TONGUE Pan-Asian Arts Boston-Area Female Artists*
*When:* March - April 2017
*Where:* BHCC Art Gallery
CALL for ART MOTHER TONGUE Pan-Asian Arts Boston-Area Female Artists in all
media sought for BHCC Art Gallery Women's History Month Exhibit 2017 in all
media
The Mary L. Fifield Art Gallery, BHCC Charlestown Campus will Present:
Mother Tongue, works by ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­Pan-Asian Boston-area Women Artists
during International Women’s History Month 2017.
You are getting this mail because you have signed up for GW at MIT's email
lists.
You can unsubscribe from this list
<http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/options/gwamit>

To contact us for future events, you can:
Send your ideas to gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to gwamit-sec at mit.edu