[GWAMIT] Announcements (4/18/11) - Join the Leadership Conference Committee

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Apr 18 11:32:39 EDT 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Please keep GWAMIT in mind as the nomination deadline for the Student Leader
Awards (SLA) approaches this *Friday, April 22*.  If you have been pleased
with GWAMIT’s contributions, we would appreciate a nomination. Visit
http://studentlife.mit.edu/sao/sla/awards for more information on awards.

Have a wonderful Marathon Monday and enjoy the week!

*The GWAMIT Board*
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
 Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit <http://facebook.gwamit.org/>

*========
IN BRIEF
======== *

*GWAMIT:*
1. Join the GWAMIT Fall 2011 Leadership Conference Planning Committee!

*MIT Events:*
 2. GCWS: What's in a Name? A Community Conversation about the Politics of
Naming in Women's Studies (Wed. Apr 20, 6:30-8:30p)
3. D. W. Weeks Lecture: "What is a Noncommutative Polynomial Ring" (Mon. Apr
25, 12-1p)
4. Gearing Up for a Job Search for Graduate Students (Tues. Apr 19, 3-4:40p)

*MIT Opportunities:
*5. Nominate for the Student Leader Awards (Deadline: Fri April 22)

*Outside MIT:*
6. [HGWISE] Career Chat: Alternative Careers - Science Outreach and
Education (Wed. Apr 20 4-6p)
7. [BU] Boston University GWISE Career Fair and Networking Reception (Wed.
May 4, 5-7p)
*
8. [AWIS] Improving Work-Life Satisfaction (Thurs. May 5, 6-8:30p)

*
*To see more events beyond this week's digest visit
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitcollaborators*
* *

*=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================*

*********GWAMIT*********
*

1. Join the GWAMIT Fall 2011 Leadership Conference Planning Committee!
Contact: gwamit-leadership at mit.edu

Were you impressed with our Fall 2010 Leadership Conference and Spring 2011
Empowerment Conference? Do you want to get more involved with GWAMIT? If
yes, you should definitely join our Fall 2011 Leadership Conference Planning
Committee.

We are currently looking for a Keynote lead and additional co-leads for the
events being planned. Please contact us at gwamit-leadership at mit.edu if you
are interested! Help us bring amazing women leaders to campus to show us
what we as women can accomplish!
*

*********MIT Events*********

*2. GCWS: What's in a Name? A Community Conversation about the Politics of
Naming in Women's Studies (Wed. Apr 20, 6:30-8:30p)*
*When: *Wednesday April 20, 6:30-8:30p
*Where:* 32-155
*RSVP* arsutton at mit.edu
*
*

The Graduate Consortium in Women's Studies Board of Directors has been
discussing the possibility - and implications - of changing our name, and we
want to get input from you!  In recent years, in an effort to better
represent changes in scholarship, curricula and politics, many Women's
Studies programs have changed their names to incorporate new terms --
gender, sexuality, feminist -- even sometimes removing the word "women"
altogether.  Following our own discussions of these questions internally, we
have asked 5 faculty members from across our member institutions to
contribute their experience and expertise to the question: What's in a name?
 We hope the conversation can be both useful in informing the board as we
make this important decision and intellectually exciting -- a chance for us
to reflect on the state and contours of the field as a larger community.
 The focus in this conversation is dialogue and exchange, so we hope you
attend and contribute your thoughts.  We'd like to hear what you have to say
about the state of Women's Studies (if that's even what you can call it!).

Panelists include:

*Sally Haslanger, *Professor of Philosophy and Director of Women's and
Gender Studies, MIT

*Debra Renee Kaufman, *Professor of Sociology and Director of Women's,
Gender, and Sexuality Studies, Northeastern University

*Afsaneh Najmabadi, *Professor of History and of Studies of Women, Gender,
and Sexuality, Harvard University

*Modhumita Roy, *Associate Professor of English and Director of Women's
Studies, Tufts University

*J. Keith Vincent, *Assistant Professor of Japanese, Comparative Literature,
and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, Boston University

Panel and discussion moderated by *Leslie Salzinger, *Associate Professor of
Sociology, Boston College, and GCWS Board Co-Chair

*Dessert and refreshments to follow*

3. D. W. Weeks Lecture: "What is a Noncommutative Polynomial Ring" (Mon. Apr
25, 12-1p)

*When:* Monday, April 25 12-1pm
*Where:* 2-147

*Speaker:* Susan J. Sierra (Princeton University

Abstract: The ring S:= C[x_1, x_2, ..., x_n] of polynomials in n variables
is certainly the nicest possible commutative ring (that is not a field).
What properties would a noncommutative generalization of S have? We'll talk
about somepossible answers and their positives and negatives. In the
process, we'll discuss mathematics covering (at least) the period 1890 to
2011, with an appropriate pause to acknowledge Emmy Noether, the founder of
ring theory.  Prerequisites for the talk: commutative rings as in 703 or 702

Pizza after the talk in 2-290.
*
**4. Gearing Up for a Job Search for Graduate Students (Tues. Apr 19,
3-4:40p)*
*When:* Tuesday, April 19, 3-4:30pm
*Where: *4-163*
Register:* visit CareerBridge,
www.myinterfase.com/mit/student<http://web.mit.edu/career/www/webcal/www.myinterfase.com/mit/student>,
and select Workshops, Career Fairs and Events.
*More info:* mcwilson at mit.edu

Are you a year or two away from finishing your degree?  Starting to wonder
about the whole job search process?  Curious about non-academic career
options?  Many employers begin annual recruiting at MIT in September, so now
is a perfect time for you to learn what job searching is all about.  This
workshop will cover the elements of a successful job search, and provide you
with resources to get you started.  You will be delighted to know how many
useful resources are available to you!

***********MIT Opportunities***********

*5. Nominate for the Student Leader Awards (Deadline: Fri April 22)
* *Due by:* Friday, April 22
*Awards:* http://studentlife.mit.edu/sao/sla/awards<http://studentlife.mit.edu/sao/sla/awards/grants>
*Questions:* sla-info at mit.edu or aeerwin at mit.edu

Nominations are now being accepted for the 10th annual Student Leader
Awards. We accept nominations from staff, faculty, students, coaches, and
alumni.  These awards recognize individual student leaders as well as
student organizations, living groups, dorms, and teams.  They can be as
short (150 words) or as long (500 words) as you want – it could take you
only 10 minutes to submit!  We encourage you to nominate as many groups and
students as you want.  Nominations are open until Friday, April 22nd at 5pm.

Make sure to check out the new SLA Grants:
studentlife.mit.edu/sao/sla/awards/grants.  Recipients will be celebrated
during the Student Leader Awards celebration on Friday, May 13, from 1pm to
3pm in Walker Memorial, Morss Hall.  Mark your calendars now!

Have questions?  Please contact sla-info at mit.edu or aeerwin at mit.edu.

***********Outside MIT***********
*

6. [HGWISE] Career Chat: Alternative Careers - Science Outreach and
Education (Wed. Apr 20 4-6p)
When: *Wednesday, April 20, 4-6pm
*Where:* Harvard - Dudley House Common Room*

*Thinking about an alternative career?  Come to our career chat to hear
about career options in science outreach and education.  Panelists will
share their stories about their careers, provide advice on how to enter
these fields, and answer questions from the audience.  A networking
reception will follow in the Dudley House Student Lounge.  Men and post-docs
welcome.

Panelists:
- Christy Herren (Research Associate, Center for Ocean Sciences Education
Excellence)
- Karine Thate (Program Manager, Strategic Projects, Museum of Science)
- Janis Sacco (Director of Exhibits, Harvard Museum of Natural History)
- Jennifer Larese (Outreach Coordinator, NOVA scienceNOW, WGBH)

Sponsored by GSC, GSAS and SEAS Graduate Student Life Committee*

**7. [BU] Boston University GWISE Career Fair and Networking Reception (Wed.
May 4, 5-7p)
When:  *Wednesday, May 4 from 5-7PM*
Where:  *Boston University Trustees' Ballroom, 9th floor School of
Management Building, 595 Commonwealth Avenue, enter on Silber Way*
RSVP here: *
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dGZQZFBEbHFGVXBjU3VZYnRBYTBWREE6MQ
*
**Dress: *Business Casual*
*Refreshments will be provided.

Thinking about what you might want to do when you graduate?  About to
graduate and looking for a job?  Looking to expand your network?  The Second
Annual GWISE Career Fair and Networking Reception is your one-stop-shop for
all your career and networking needs.

Join Boston University GWISE and fellow women in STEM from the Boston
community to network and explore careers!  Speak with HR reps and female
scientists/engineers at local companies, meet the women of the Association
for Women in Science (AWIS) & Women Entepreneurs in Science and Technology
(WEST), and get some advice from the Career Development Office and Center
for Career Development at BU.  Even if you're not looking for a job right
now, it's a great opportunity -- network with peers from other departments
and institutions at the wine and cheese reception!

Bring your resume, bring your business card, or just bring yourself and come
ready to meet and mingle with Boston's best!

(Companies currently registered to attend include: Raytheon, Teradyne, IBM,
Mathworks, Boston Scientific, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, EMC, Boston Teacher
Residency and the Broad Institute)
*
**8. [AWIS] Improving Work-Life Satisfaction (Thurs. May 5, 6-8:30p)
When: *Thursday May 5, 6-8:30pm*
Where: *The Broad Institute, 7 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA*
More info: *http://www.mass‐awis.org
*
*Event is open to both men and women. Free to the public, no registration
required.

Given the work environments and expectations for women in science, and the
fact that a career in science is very often a way of life and far more than
a job, work‐life balance satisfaction can be elusive. While advocating for
change in policies and systems continues to be important, women must find
the personal work‐life balance strategies that work for them within the
systems in which they work.

*This program is provided courtesy of a three‐year grant from the Elsevier
Foundation. The program will be presented by Masha Hareli, Ph.D, AWIS
Massachusetts Chapter President, and Cynthia Simpson, M.Ed, CAE, AWIS
Director of Programs and External Relations.*
*