[GWAMIT] Announcements (4/11/11)

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Apr 11 08:54:18 EDT 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Follow our Google Calendars to see details for these and future events, *
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents* and http://bit.ly/gwamitcollaborators
 <http://bit.ly/gwamitcollaborators>
Enjoy the week!

*The GWAMIT Board*
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
 Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://facebook.gwamit.org

*========
IN BRIEF
======== *

*GWAMIT:*
1. Join the GWAMIT Fall 2011 Leadership Conference Planning Committee (Wed.
Apr 13, 5:00-6:30p)
2. GWAMIT is accepting Applications for Bloggers (Deadline Fri. Apr. 15)

*MIT Events:*
3. Sexual Assault Awareness Week (April 10-15)
4. GWG Lunch (Thurs. Apr 14, 12-1p)
5. AMITA: Sustainable and Disaster Resilient Communities (Thurs. Apr. 14,
6:30-9p)
6. Spring Career Fair (Thurs, Apr 14, 11a-4p)* *
7. GCWS: What's in a Name? A Community Conversation about the Politics of
Naming in Women's Studies (Wed. Apr 20, 6:30-8:30p)
8. D. W. Weeks Lecture: "Mathematical Models of the Human Eye" (Mon. Apr 11,
5:30-6:30p)
*
*
**
*MIT Opportunities: *
9. Help Incoming Graduate Women - Healthy Eating Guide (Deadline April 16)

*Outside MIT:*
10. [Brandeis] Why the History of Women Scientists Matters (Mon. Apr. 11,
1-2p)
11. [HGWISE] Longwood Coffee Hour with Nathalie Agar, PhD (Tue. Apr 12,
4-5p)
12. Women's Health and the Future of Medical Technology (Wed. Apr. 13,
6:30-8:30p)
13. [Mass-AWIS] Recruiting for 2011-2012 Mentoring Circle Program*
  (Deadline: April 30)
*
14. [Mass-AWIS] Building and Enriching your Mentoring Relationships (May 2,
6-9p)

*To see more events beyond this week's digest visit
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitcollaborators*
* *

*=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================*

*********GWAMIT*********
*

1. Join the GWAMIT Fall 2011 Leadership Conference Planning Committee (Wed.
Apr 13, 5:00-6:30p)
When: Wednesday, April 13, 5:00-6:30pm
Where: Stata Cafe
RSVP:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEY1b2VUSktIeThFUUpBRWIxVVlOUWc6MQ
 Contact: gwamit-leadership at mit.edu

<https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEY1b2VUSktIeThFUUpBRWIxVVlOUWc6MQ>
Were you impressed with our Fall 2010 Leadership Conference and Spring 2011
Empowerment Conference?
Do you want to get more involved with GWAMIT?
Do you want more leadership experience to further your personal/professional
development?
Do you want to work with strong, motivated, and passionate women?
Do you have an idea for a talk/panel/workshop?

If yes, you should definitely join our Fall 2011 Leadership Conference
Planning Committee.  Help us bring innovative, provocative, and informative
events to campus!

2. GWAMIT is accepting Applications for Bloggers** (Deadline Fri. Apr. 15) *
*Apply*: gwamit_exec at mit.edu by Friday, April 15
*Blog*:  http://gwamit.blogspot.com/
 <http://gwamit.blogspot.com/>
As you've noticed, we have been working hard to increase our online
presence. We're looking for a few members to be bloggers for GWAMIT and
write about events, articles, and experiences of interest to the
GWAMIT community.
 To apply, submit a statement of interest and 1-3 samples of blog posts to
gwamit-exec at mit.edu

*********MIT Events*********

*3. Sexual Assault Awareness Week (April 10-15)*
*Details: *http://web.mit.edu/whiteelephant/schedule2011.html
 <http://web.mit.edu/whiteelephant/schedule2011.html>*More info:* Facebook
page <http://www.facebook.com/VPRatMIT>.
*Questions?* Contact Kelley Adams <adam at med.mit.edu>.

Events throughout SAAW include: Tables, MIT Clothesline Project, MIT White
Ribbon Project

*Small Residence Parties*
We are hosting movie and t-shirt making parties at residences throughout
campus in the weeks leading up to SAAW. These parties will consist of a
viewing of the short film, *The Line*, a brief discussion, dinner and an
opportunity to create t-shirts for the MIT Clothesline Project. We also hope
that these parties will provide an informal opportunity to ask questions or
talk to VPR advocates if necessary.

Parties scheduled thus far:
Sigma Kappa -- Sunday, April 3rd, 7:30pm
Ashdown -- Thursday, April 7th, 7:00pm in the 5th floor lounge
Chi Phi -- Sunday, April 10th, 5:00pm
Sidney Pacific -- Monday, April 11th, 7:00pm in the SP Seminar Room
Westgate -- Tuesday, April 12th, 8:00pm
McCormick -- Tuesday, April 12th, 8:00pm (for dessert!)
*
*

*Big Movie Night*
When: Wednesday April 13, 2011, 7:00pm
Where: 6-120 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=6>
We will be showing *Speak* <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378793/> (2004),
starring Kristen Stewart, Michael Angarano, and Robert John Burke. This film
is about a girl who experiences a "blurred trauma" during the summer before
entering high school, and how she deals with the aftermath of this
experience. We are excited to show *Speak* this year, since it is a major
motion picture that tastefully touches on the impact that sexual assault can
have on a survivor's life. There will be a discussion facilitated by a
sexual violence expert following the film.

*Take Back The Night *
When: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 7:00pm
Where: Lobby 10 <http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=10>
Take Back the Night (TBTN) <http://www.takebackthenight.org/> is a national
event that was started in 1978 with the goal of providing community members
an opportunity to publicly assert their right to be free from violence, and
to break the silence around violence by sharing their own experiences. TBTN
at MIT consists of survivors, those who know survivors, and those concerned
with ending sexual violence, gathering in a semi-public place to share their
experiences with violence. Come support survivors of sexual assault at MIT -
it affects us all. Share your own stories, or just come to be there for and
listen to others.
*4. GWG Lunch (Thurs. Apr 14, 12-1p)*
*When:** *Thursday, April 14, 12-1pm
*Where**: *3-310
*Contact: *Alicia Erwin* *aeerwin at mit.edu

*We invite you all to join us for the next GWG lunch , to be held next
Thursday, April 14th at noon in the Margaret Cheney Room (3-310).  We will
be switching up things with a hot panini lunch from Café Luna and some
information from Miri and Zan on time management and managing expectations.*
*
*
*5. AMITA: Sustainable and Disaster Resilient Communities (Thurs. Apr. 14,
6:30-9p)*
*When*: Thursday, April 14, 6:30-9pm
*Where*: MIT Bush Room, 10-105
*Registration*:
https://alum.mit.edu/smarTrans/register-login.vm?eventID=52821&groupID=182;
Online
registration ends April 12 at noon; $5 extra for walk-ins.

President Obama directs the country towards growth through innovation,
specifically focusing on the opportunities of the "green economy," and many
large companies, from WalMart to GE, publicize their "green" products and
services. What does sustainability mean for communities, many of which are
struggling to pay their bills during the recent economic downturn?

Dr. Sarah Slaughter '82 will discuss strategies for sustainability for
communities that offer the opportunity to transform individuals, markets,
organizations, communities and regions. Sustainability is the dynamic
balance of social justice, economic opportunity, and environmental
regeneration, which together establish the quality of life and harmony
between the built and natural environments. Disaster-resiliency is the
ability of the community to recover  quickly and effectively  from extreme
events, including natural and manmade disasters. New approaches can combine
the promise of sustainability with the urgency of disaster-resiliency to
improve the viability and durability of communities.

Dr. Slaughter is currently the Associate Director for Buildings and
Infrastructure in the MIT Energy Initiative. Her research focuses on
innovations in the built environment, specifically focused on sustainability
and disaster-resiliency.

A light dinner will be served.  Plenty of time for networking too!

*6. Spring Career Fair (Thurs, Apr 14, 11a-4p)*
*When: *Thursday, April 14, 11am-4pm
*Where:* Sala de Puerto Rico- Stratton Student Center (W-20)
*Register: *on CareerBridge at
https://www.myinterfase.com/mit/student/home.aspx

Are you looking for summer internships or full time employment? Then this
event is for YOU. On Thursday, April 14th, companies will be on campus to
meet with you and discuss available full time and summer internship
opportunities that are still available at these top companies. Undergraduate
and Graduate Students from all courses are welcome. Students must
Pre-Register for this event.

*7. GCWS: What's in a Name? A Community Conversation about the Politics of
Naming in Women's Studies (Wed. Apr 20, 6:30-8:30p)*
*When: *Wednesday April 20, 6:30-8:30p
*Where:* 32-155
*RSVP* arsutton at mit.edu
*
*

The Graduate Consortium in Women's Studies Board of Directors has been
discussing the possibility - and implications - of changing our name, and we
want to get input from you!  In recent years, in an effort to better
represent changes in scholarship, curricula and politics, many Women's
Studies programs have changed their names to incorporate new terms --
gender, sexuality, feminist -- even sometimes removing the word "women"
altogether.  Following our own discussions of these questions internally, we
have asked 5 faculty members from across our member institutions to
contribute their experience and expertise to the question: What's in a name?
 We hope the conversation can be both useful in informing the board as we
make this important decision and intellectually exciting -- a chance for us
to reflect on the state and contours of the field as a larger community.
 The focus in this conversation is dialogue and exchange, so we hope you
attend and contribute your thoughts.  We'd like to hear what you have to say
about the state of Women's Studies (if that's even what you can call it!).

Panelists include:

*Sally Haslanger, *Professor of Philosophy and Director of Women's and
Gender Studies, MIT

*Debra Renee Kaufman, *Professor of Sociology and Director of Women's,
Gender, and Sexuality Studies, Northeastern University

*Afsaneh Najmabadi, *Professor of History and of Studies of Women, Gender,
and Sexuality, Harvard University

*Modhumita Roy, *Associate Professor of English and Director of Women's
Studies, Tufts University

*J. Keith Vincent, *Assistant Professor of Japanese, Comparative Literature,
and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, Boston University

Panel and discussion moderated by *Leslie Salzinger, *Associate Professor of
Sociology, Boston College, and GCWS Board Co-Chair

*Dessert and refreshments to follow*

8. D. W. Weeks Lecture: "Mathematical Models of the Human Eye" (Mon. Apr 11,
5:30-6:30p)

*When:* Monday, April 11, 5:30pm
*Where:* 2-139

*Speaker:* Erika Camacho (Arizona State University)

Abstract:

The physics and biology of the overall vision process and of many individual
parts is relatively well understood due to countless experiments that have
been performed. However, the interactions of the various components within
this process is far from complete, as the experiments almost always require
the termination of the subject under investigation, and data over time is
thus difficult to obtain. Analytic models of any components of the visual
process are almost non-existent. In an attempt to gain important insight
into the role and interaction of melatonin levels within the eyes and of the
interaction of the photoreceptors, we develop and analyze mathematical
models with nonlinear differential equations. We examine equilibrium
solutions and the stability and bifurcations of them. We are able to show
the essential need for inclusion of various pathways and interactions in any
comprehensive biological model of the eye. Knowledge of such pathways and
interactions has implications in the understanding of certain abnormalities
and diseases of the eye.

Pizza following the talk.

***********MIT Opportunities***********

*9. Help Incoming Graduate Women - Healthy Eating Guide (Deadline April 16)
Deadline: *Friday, April 16
*Submit to:* Audra Bowcutt abowcutt at mit.edu

Are you interested in creating a legacy at MIT?  Do you want to help
incoming MIT Graduate Women have a positive and successful experience?

What opportunity is available?  Dean Staton, MIT ODGE , and MIT health
advisors are working to create a Healthy Eating Guide For MIT Graduate Women
By Graduate Women.  The vision is to create a guide filled with healthy
recipes from experienced female MIT-students, in addition to a listing of
all the MIT and Boston area support options, with the hope that our new MIT
graduate women will be able to better manage their first semesters at
school, maintain a healthy lifestyle, and feel a stronger connection to the
MIT community.  Once we have compiled and published the Healthy Eating
Guide, the ODGE would like to provide one copy to each incoming graduate
women for years to come.

What can you do?  For this vision to become a reality, we are looking for
MIT graduate women representatives like you to submit your favorite healthy
recipes to get the guide underway.  Each healthy recipe will be cited to
include the submitter’s name, course, and graduation year, so each healthy
recipe submission will become an attributed legacy gift.  Your recipe
submission(s)  should include the ingredients, cooking materials required
(i.e. pots, measuring cup, etc.), approximate number of servings,
instructions, and a picture if available.  Deadline for your submission is
April 16th. Submit your recipe(s) to Audra Bowcutt at abowcutt at mit.edu.

Respondent Prize: The first 15 students to submit a recipe will receive a
monetary prize from the ODGE office!

***********Outside MIT***********
*
*
*10. [Brandeis] Why the History of Women Scientists Matters (Mon. Apr. 11,
1-2p)*
*When: *Mon, Apr 11, 1 pm
*Where:* Rapaporte Treasure Hall (Goldfarb Library); Brandeis University

Professor Julie Des Jardins from CUNY Baruch will be coming to Brandeis to
give a talk on "Why the History of Women Scientists Matters" as part of
Brandeis' Women in Science Initiative.  Prof. Des Jardins is the author of
"The Madam Curie Complex--The Hidden History of Women in Science".
Refreshments will be served.

*11. [HGWISE] Longwood Coffee Hour with Nathalie Agar, PhD (Tue. Apr 12,
4-5p)*
*When: *Tuesday, April 12, 4-5pm
*Where: *Vanderbilt, JBM Lounge, Harvard
*
*
*Come take a break from lab, enjoy some yummy treats, and hear Nathalie Agar
PhD
talk about her interesting career path as a female scientist.  Dr. Agar is a
young, energetic, recently appointed faculty member in the Department of
Neurosurgery at BWH.  In addition to developing technology to analyze brain
tumors during surgery, Nathalie is a mother of four, devoted wife, mentor,
and
long-distance runner.  Come to coffee hour from 4-5pm on April 12th to learn
how she does it all!

Sponsored by BGSO*
*
*
*12. Women's Health and the Future of Medical Technology Innovation (Wed.
Apr 13, 6:30-8:30p)*
*When: Wednesday, April 13, 6:30-8:30pm*
*Where: *MIT Innovation Museum, Boston
*Register: *womenshealth at sagentia.com with "Yes I would like to attend" as
the subject
*Details: *womenshealth at sagentia.com

The $20+ billion global women's health market is characterized by increased
competition around existing products but a need for innovation around
development of new diagnostics andtherapeutics. Join us to hear from
industry experts on the challenges and opportunities around meeting the unmet
needs for healthcare products that address women's health.
Buffet to follow.

13. [Mass-AWIS] Recruiting for 2011-2012 Mentoring Circle Program (Deadline:
April 30)
Deadline: April 30
Application: www.mass-awis.org
For information email: info at mass-awis.org

*What is an AWIS Mentoring Circle?*

A Mentoring Circle is a small group of women scientists committed to meeting
monthly to support one another with advice, encouragement and
information.  Each
circle will consist of 3-5 peers and be coordinated and aided by at least
one experienced mentor and one connector.

*Who will be in my circle?*

The MASS AWIS mentoring committee will review submitted surveys and match
you with a circle based on interest, career goals, geography and other
factors.

*What will we talk about?*

The group will decide how it wants to handle the schedule, but MASS AWIS
will provide you with a sourcebook of ideas and articles to help start
conversation.  Once you get started—we don’t think you’ll have trouble
finding things to talk about!  All participants should be willing to give
and get professional and personal support from other talented women in the
scientific community.

*Are we just going to sit around and complain?*

NO!!  The mentoring circle is a mechanism for sharing frustrations with
peers but the focus is on career growth and problem solving in a supportive
environment.  Mentors will help guide and promote productive discussions in
the circle.

*Who are Connectors?*

Connectors are ombudsmen for the mentoring circles. If a mentor or mentee is
experiencing conflict or frustration within the circle, the connector will
step in to mediate the situation.

*How do I join the MASS AWIS Mentoring Circle Program as a mentor or
connector?*

•           You must be a MASS AWIS chapter member to participate.

•           You must apply to the program online by filling out the Mentor
application on our website www.mass-awis.org

*Deadline is April 30, 2011.*

Please share this information with any friend or colleague who you think
would make an exceptional mentor.

For information email: info at mass-awis.org

14. [Mass-AWIS] Building and Enriching your Mentoring Relationships (May 2,
6-9p)
*When:* Monday, May 2, 2011 from 6:00 to 9:00 pm
*Where:* MIT Bldg 46, Room 3002 (Singleton Auditorium)
*Register:* http://www.acteva.com/go/mass-awis or
http://www.mass-awis.org/www.mass-awis.org
*Cost:* $10 AWIS members and post-docs/students; $20 for non-members

Mentors can enrich your career in many ways and we all have the capacity to
also learn by mentoring and teaching others.  This program/workshop will
introduce the participants to many important skills
·        How to find, select and approach a mentor
·        How to manage the logistics of a healthy mentoring relationship
·        Tools to make your mentoring relationships more productive
·        Skills each of us can develop to be better mentors ourselves

Speaker and Workshop Leader:  Dr. Kamens obtained her BA in Biology from the
University of Pennsylvania and her Ph.D. in Genetics from Harvard
University.  She has worked for 20 years in both pharma and biotech drug
discovery settings with oligonucleotide, small molecule, and biologic
therapeutics. Dr. Kamens has been actively involved in raising awareness of
women in science since 1998.  She was the founding president of the
Massachusetts AWIS chapter and was instrumental in starting the MASS AWIS
Mentoring Circle program.  She currently serves as the Director of Mentoring
for the HBA (Healthcare Business Women’s Association) and is on the Board of
Directors for WEST (Women Entrepreneurs in Science and Technology).
MASS AWIS Mentoring Committee members will be in attendance to answer
questions about the 2011 Mentoring Circle program.  Applications for the
program are being accepted throughout May and June.  New Circles will start
meeting in September, 2011.

Join AWIS to save money on events and to support our work!