[GWAMIT] Announcements (4/4/2011)

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Apr 4 09:44:36 EDT 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Would you like to be on the 2011 Fall Leadership Conference Planning
Committee? Details below

Enjoy the week!

*The GWAMIT Board*
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://facebook.gwamit.org

*========
IN BRIEF
======== *

*GWAMIT:*
1. Join the GWAMIT Fall 2011 Leadership Conference Planning Committee (Wed.
Apr 13, 5:00-6:30p)
2. GWAMIT is accepting Applications for Bloggers (Deadline Fri. Apr. 15)

*MIT Events:*
3. D.W. Weeks Lecture: "Interplay of Combinatorics and Topology through
Posets" (Mon. Apr 4, 5:30p)
4. AMITA: Sustainable and Disaster Resilient Communities (Thurs. Apr. 14,
6:30-9p)
*
*
*
*
**
*MIT Opportunities: *
5. Donate shirts to the MIT Clothesline Project (Apr. 11)
6. Help Incoming Graduate Women - Healthy Eating Guide (Deadline April 16)

*Outside MIT:*
7. [HGWISE] Networking Etiquette Workshop (Wed. Apr 6, 3-5p)
8. [HGWISE] Longwood Coffee Hour with Nathalie Agar, PhD (Tue. Apr 12, 4-5p)
9. A Conversation with Maria Klawe, Microsoft Board Member & President,
Harvey Mudd College (Thurs. Apr 7, 3-4p)

*=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================*

*********GWAMIT*********
*

1. Join the GWAMIT Fall 2011 Leadership Conference Planning Committee (Wed.
Apr 13, 5:00-6:30p)
When: Wednesday, April 13, 5:00-6:30pm
Where: Stata Cafe
RSVP:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEY1b2VUSktIeThFUUpBRWIxVVlOUWc6MQ
 Contact: gwamit-leadership at mit.edu

 <https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEY1b2VUSktIeThFUUpBRWIxVVlOUWc6MQ>
Were you impressed with our Fall 2010 Leadership Conference and Spring 2011
Empowerment Conference?
Do you want to get more involved with GWAMIT?
Do you want more leadership experience to further your personal/professional
development?
Do you want to work with strong, motivated, and passionate women?
Do you have an idea for a talk/panel/workshop?

If yes, you should definitely join our Fall 2011 Leadership Conference
Planning Committee.  Help us bring innovative, provocative, and informative
events to campus!

2. GWAMIT is accepting Applications for Bloggers** (Deadline Fri. Apr. 15) *
*Apply*: gwamit_exec at mit.edu by Friday, April 15
*Blog*:  http://gwamit.blogspot.com/
<http://gwamit.blogspot.com/>
As you've noticed, we have been working hard to increase our online
presence. We're looking for a few members to be bloggers for GWAMIT and
write about events, articles, and experiences of interest to the
GWAMIT community.
 To apply, submit a statement of interest and 1-3 samples of blog posts to
gwamit-exec at mit.edu

*********MIT Events*********

*3. D.W. Weeks Lecture: "Interplay of Combinatorics and Topology through
Posets" (Mon. Apr 4, 5:30p)*
*When:* Monday, April 4, 5:30pm
*Where:* 2-139
*Speaker: * Patricia Hersh (North Carolina State University)

This talk will focus on how partially ordered sets help record topological
structure, including mentioning some limitations in how much they can
capture. I will briefly discuss my work on discrete Morse theory for order
complexes of partially ordered sets and how this has been used, e.g. to
count by inclusion-exclusion.  Then, I'll turn things around and discuss
more recent work on how topological structure of a stratified space can
sometimes be gleaned from combinatorics of its closure poset, combined with
codimension one topology. This is used to show that certain stratified
spaces arising from combinatorial representation theory are regular CW
complexes homeomorphic to balls.
*
*
*
*
*4. AMITA: Sustainable and Disaster Resilient Communities (Thurs. Apr. 14,
6:30-9p)*
*When*: Thursday, April 14, 6:30-9pm
*Where*: MIT Bush Room, 10-105
*Registration*:
https://alum.mit.edu/smarTrans/register-login.vm?eventID=52821&groupID=182;
Online
registration ends April 12 at noon; $5 extra for walk-ins.

President Obama directs the country towards growth through innovation,
specifically focusing on the opportunities of the "green economy," and many
large companies, from WalMart to GE, publicize their "green" products and
services. What does sustainability mean for communities, many of which are
struggling to pay their bills during the recent economic downturn?

Dr. Sarah Slaughter '82 will discuss strategies for sustainability for
communities that offer the opportunity to transform individuals, markets,
organizations, communities and regions. Sustainability is the dynamic
balance of social justice, economic opportunity, and environmental
regeneration, which together establish the quality of life and harmony
between the built and natural environments. Disaster-resiliency is the
ability of the community to recover  quickly and effectively  from extreme
events, including natural and manmade disasters. New approaches can combine
the promise of sustainability with the urgency of disaster-resiliency to
improve the viability and durability of communities.

Dr. Slaughter is currently the Associate Director for Buildings and
Infrastructure in the MIT Energy Initiative. Her research focuses on
innovations in the built environment, specifically focused on sustainability
and disaster-resiliency.

A light dinner will be served.  Plenty of time for networking too!

***********MIT Opportunities***********
*
*
*5. Donate shirts to the MIT Clothesline Project (Apr. 11)*
*Drop off*: E23-205
*Contact:* Kelley adam at med.mit.edu
*More info:* http://www.clotheslineproject.org

Please donate your gently used shirts to the MIT Clothesline Project. We are
looking for plain shirts of any color without any text of logos.

The MIT Clothesline Project will be on display during Sexual Assault
Awareness Week 2011 (April 11-15).  The MIT Clothesline Project (
http://www.clotheslineproject.org) is a visual display of shirts decorated
by MIT community members to show how sexual violence has touched their
lives, either through direct or secondhand experiences. It's a nice visual
representation both of something that happens here but is not often talked
about, as well as a show of support for survivors here.

*6. Help Incoming Graduate Women - Healthy Eating Guide (Deadline April 16)
Deadline: *Friday, April 16
*Submit to:* Audra Bowcutt abowcutt at mit.edu

Are you interested in creating a legacy at MIT?  Do you want to help
incoming MIT Graduate Women have a positive and successful experience?

What opportunity is available?  Dean Staton, MIT ODGE , and MIT health
advisors are working to create a Healthy Eating Guide For MIT Graduate Women
By Graduate Women.  The vision is to create a guide filled with healthy
recipes from experienced female MIT-students, in addition to a listing of
all the MIT and Boston area support options, with the hope that our new MIT
graduate women will be able to better manage their first semesters at
school, maintain a healthy lifestyle, and feel a stronger connection to the
MIT community.  Once we have compiled and published the Healthy Eating
Guide, the ODGE would like to provide one copy to each incoming graduate
women for years to come.

What can you do?  For this vision to become a reality, we are looking for
MIT graduate women representatives like you to submit your favorite healthy
recipes to get the guide underway.  Each healthy recipe will be cited to
include the submitter’s name, course, and graduation year, so each healthy
recipe submission will become an attributed legacy gift.  Your recipe
submission(s)  should include the ingredients, cooking materials required
(i.e. pots, measuring cup, etc.), approximate number of servings,
instructions, and a picture if available.  Deadline for your submission is
April 16th. Submit your recipe(s) to Audra Bowcutt at abowcutt at mit.edu.

Respondent Prize: The first 15 students to submit a recipe will receive a
monetary prize from the ODGE office!

***********Outside MIT**********

*
*7. [Harvard] Networking Etiquette Workshop (Wed. Apr 6, 3-5p)*
*When:* Wednesday, April 6, 3-5pm
*Where:* Dudley House Common Room

We all know networking is important, but what does it really mean in
practice? GSAS Dean Margot Gill and Amy Sanford from OCS will help demystify
networking and review critical skills for success as well as share their own
personal effective techniques. This interactive workshop will include
activities to practice these skills in a relaxed, fun environment. Bring
your questions about networking and come develop your schmoozing skills!

Brought to you by HGWISE and OCS.

*8. [HGWISE] Longwood Coffee Hour with Nathalie Agar, PhD (Tue. Apr 12,
4-5p)*
*When: *Tuesday, April 12, 4-5pm
*Where: *Vanderbilt, JBM Lounge, Harvard
*
*
*Come take a break from lab, enjoy some yummy treats, and hear Nathalie Agar
PhD
talk about her interesting career path as a female scientist.  Dr. Agar is a
young, energetic, recently appointed faculty member in the Department of
Neurosurgery at BWH.  In addition to developing technology to analyze brain
tumors during surgery, Nathalie is a mother of four, devoted wife, mentor,
and
long-distance runner.  Come to coffee hour from 4-5pm on April 12th to learn
how she does it all!

Sponsored by BGSO*
*
*
*9. A Conversation with Maria Klawe, Microsoft Board Member & President,
Harvey Mudd College (Thurs. Apr 7, 3-4p)*
*When: Thursday, April 7, 3-4pm
Where: Microsoft NERD, 1 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA*
*Registration Link:* http://mariaklaweatnerd.eventbrite.com/ (Cost: Free)

As part of Microsoft's ongoing commitment to support women in technology,
please join Microsoft board member and president, Harvey Mudd College, Maria
Klawe in a special discussion for female undergraduate and graduate students
studying science, technology, engieering and/or math (STEM).

With one of Klawe’s lifelong passions to increase the participation of women
and other under-represented groups in STEM, Klawe's will share her career
path, some of the challenges and opportunities for women in STEM and advice
for success.