[GWAMIT] Announcements (4/25/11) - Join the Mentoring Committee

GWAMIT gwamit at mit.edu
Mon Apr 25 08:35:28 EDT 2011

Dear GWAMIT Members,

Interested in joining the GWAMIT Mentoring Committee for next year? Details
below.

Enjoy the week.

*The GWAMIT Board*
Send your ideas to: gwamit-exec at mit.edu
 Send your announcements to: gwamit-sec at mit.edu
Visit us: http://gwamit.org
Blog: http://gwamit.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gwamitweb
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gwamit

*========
IN BRIEF
======== *

*GWAMIT:**
*1. GWAMIT Mentoring Program Planning Meeting (Mon May 2, 7p)
2. Join the GWAMIT Fall 2011 Leadership Conference Planning Committee!

*MIT Events:*
 3. D. W. Weeks Lecture: "What is a Noncommutative Polynomial Ring" (Mon.
Apr 25, 12-1p)
4. MIT WGS Presents: Women in Conflict Areas, A Global Perspective (3
events, Apr 26-28 7-9p)
 5. Action Learning Program Poster Session (Apr 28-29; presentations Thurs
Apr 28 12-1p)

*Outside MIT:*
6. [HGWISE] Cambridge Coffee Hour with Colleen Cavanaugh (Wed, Apr. 27 5-6p)
7. [HGWISE] Unpacking Gender: Men and Women in Science, Technology, and More
(Tue, May 3, 4:30-6p)
8. [BU] Boston University GWISE Career Fair and Networking Reception (Wed.
May 4, 5-7p)
*
9. Anita Borg -Nominate an Exceptional Individual for an award (Nominations
Due May 2)
10. Boston Area Rape Crisis Center - Sexual Violence Prevention Fellow
Applications
11. [Mass-AWIS] Building and Enriching your Mentoring Relationships (Mon May
2, 6-9p)

*
*To see more events beyond this week's digest visit
http://bit.ly/gwamitevents and http://bit.ly/gwamitcollaborators*
* *

*=====================
FULL ANNOUNCEMENTS
=====================*

*********GWAMIT*********
*
1. GWAMIT Mentoring Program Planning Meeting (Mon May 2, 7p)*
*When*: Monday May 2, 7:00pm*
Where: *Stata Cafe (1st floor)*
Contact:* skimmel at mit.edu

Our first planning meeting for the 2011-2012 GWAMIT Mentoring Program is
Monday May 2, 7:00 pm in the Stata Cafe (1st floor). We are looking for
people to help with
-planning the kick-off dinner
-advertising
-matching mentors and mentees

If you're interested in helping out or attending the meeting, please contact
Shelby Kimmel at skimmel at mit.edu. Thanks!

*2. Join the GWAMIT Fall 2011 Leadership Conference Planning Committee!
Contact:* gwamit-leadership at mit.edu

Were you impressed with our Fall 2010 Leadership Conference and Spring 2011
Empowerment Conference? Then you should consider joining us as we plan the
next flagship event -- the Fall 2011 Leadership Conference!

We are currently looking for Keynote, Event, Logistics and Publicity
co-leads. There are different ways you can get involved, depending on your
interests and schedule. Please contact us at gwamit-leadership at mit.edu if
you are interested! Help us bring amazing women leaders to campus to show
what we as women can accomplish!

*********MIT Events*********

3. D. W. Weeks Lecture: "What is a Noncommutative Polynomial Ring" (Mon. Apr
25, 12-1p)

*When:* Monday, April 25 12-1pm
*Where:* 2-147

*Speaker:* Susan J. Sierra (Princeton University

Abstract: The ring S:= C[x_1, x_2, ..., x_n] of polynomials in n variables
is certainly the nicest possible commutative ring (that is not a field).
What properties would a noncommutative generalization of S have? We'll talk
about somepossible answers and their positives and negatives. In the
process, we'll discuss mathematics covering (at least) the period 1890 to
2011, with an appropriate pause to acknowledge Emmy Noether, the founder of
ring theory.  Prerequisites for the talk: commutative rings as in 703 or 702

Pizza after the talk in 2-290.*
*

*4. MIT WGS Presents: Women in Conflict Areas, A Global Perspective (Apr
26-28 7-9p)*
The Technology and Culture Forum, MIT Women's and Gender Studies and the
Program for Violence Prevention and Response present WOMEN IN CONFLICT
AREAS: A GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE
*
Women in Conflict Zones: Kenya (A Film Screening)
When* Tuesday, April 26, 7-9pm
*Where* MIT Room 4-231
Produced in 2011, "Impunity or Justice" addresses the problem of impunity
for rape and other sexual violence following the 2007 election and today,
through interviews with survivors, health workers, legal aid providers, and
senior Kenya Police officials. Discussion with director, Alexander Smith,
following the film. Refreshments will be served.

*Violence on the Home Front: Women in Boston*
*When:* Wednesday, April 27, 7-9p
*Where:* MIT Room 2-105

Speakers: Carline Desire, Executive Director of the Association for Haitian
Women; Judy Norsigian, Executive Director, Our Bodies Ourselves; David
Adams, Ed.D., Co-Director, Emerge

Organized and Co-sponsored with Community Works

*Women in Conflict Zones: Cultural Imperialism in the Global Feminist
Discourse*
*When*: Thursday April 28, 7-9pm
*Where* MIT Room 14E-304

Dinner Discussion
Speaker: Dr. Abha Sur, MIT School of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences

Join us for a dinner discussion about gendered violence, paternalism and
cultural imperialism in feminist conversations, and power structures. This
dinner discussion, led by Dr. Sur, will bring together themes introduced in
the programs on Tuesday and Wednesday. and the Boston panel.

These programs are free and open to the public.  For more information,
please go to web.mit.edu/tac or email weinmann at mit.edu.

*5. Action Learning Program Poster Session (Apr 28-29; presentations Thurs
Apr 28 12-1p)*
* When:* Thursday, April 28th and Friday April 29th (Student presentations
Thursday  from 12:00p to 1:00p)
*Location:* E62-Café Corridor

You’re invited to attend the 2011 Spring Poster Session! Students who
participated in Action Learning programs through China Lab, India Lab, and
Study Tours (The Business of Education- Brazil; The Business of Water-
China; and Renewable Energy- Europe) will convene and share details of their
project work with members of the MIT community.*
*

***********Outside MIT***********
*
6. [HGWISE] Cambridge Coffee Hour with Colleen Cavanaugh (Wed, Apr. 27 5-6p)
When:* Wednesday, April 27, 5-6pm
*Where: *TBD
*RSVP: *rbeinart at fas.harvard.edu

Take a break from your daily drudgery and come hear about the adventures of
Dr. Cavanaugh. Her path to professorship in Organismic and Evolutionary
Biology included the discovery of a new mode of animal life (chemosynthetic
animal-bacterial symbioses), deep sea submarine diving, motherhood and more!
She’ll talk about her experiences as well as give advice for young
scientists. We promise you much food for thought...and if that's not enough
to whet your appetite we will be serving the most amazing coffee and
delicious pastries!

Please RSVP to rbeinart at fas.harvard.edu

* 7. [HGWISE] Unpacking Gender: Men and Women in Science, Technology, and
More (Tue, May 3, 4:30-6p)*
*When: *Tue, May 3, 4.30 - 6 pm*
Where: *Harvard, Geological Lecture Hall, University Museum*
Speaker: *Debbie Chachra, Olin College of Engineering
*
*Describe someone, friend or stranger. The very first thing you say reveals
whether they are a man or a woman. Gender affects how we perceive everyone
around us and how we express ourselves, often in ways we don't realize. Why
is technology dominated by men? Why are women so often caregivers? This
seminar will use ideas from psychology and education research to investigate
how we perceive and respond to gender. It will give you some tools to
understand how you think about gender, along with information that puts that
in greater social context. Please bring something to write on, something to
write with, and a willingness to engage your brain.

Reception to Follow

This event is sponsored by HGWISE, the GSC, HILS, FD&D, and SEAS*

*Debbie Chachra is an Associate Professor of Materials Science at the
Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, where she was one of the founding
faculty. Prof. Chachra's research interests are twofold. She researches the
engineering student experience, including persistence and migration,
differences by gender, and the role of self-efficacy in project-based
learning. As well as her work in education, she studies biological
materials, currently focusing on a polyester-silk composite synthesized by
bees. She also consults, facilitates workshops, and speaks widely on topics
including curricular design for engineering education, and on gender,
diversity and the engineering student experience.

*
**8. [BU] Boston University GWISE Career Fair and Networking Reception (Wed.
May 4, 5-7p)
When:  *Wednesday, May 4 from 5-7PM*
Where:  *Boston University Trustees' Ballroom, 9th floor School of
Management Building, 595 Commonwealth Avenue, enter on Silber Way*
RSVP here: *
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dGZQZFBEbHFGVXBjU3VZYnRBYTBWREE6MQ
*
**Dress: *Business Casual*
*Refreshments will be provided.

Thinking about what you might want to do when you graduate?  About to
graduate and looking for a job?  Looking to expand your network?  The Second
Annual GWISE Career Fair and Networking Reception is your one-stop-shop for
all your career and networking needs.

Join Boston University GWISE and fellow women in STEM from the Boston
community to network and explore careers!  Speak with HR reps and female
scientists/engineers at local companies, meet the women of the Association
for Women in Science (AWIS) & Women Entepreneurs in Science and Technology
(WEST), and get some advice from the Career Development Office and Center
for Career Development at BU.  Even if you're not looking for a job right
now, it's a great opportunity -- network with peers from other departments
and institutions at the wine and cheese reception!

Bring your resume, bring your business card, or just bring yourself and come
ready to meet and mingle with Boston's best!

(Companies currently registered to attend include: Raytheon, Teradyne, IBM,
Mathworks, Boston Scientific, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, EMC, Boston Teacher
Residency and the Broad Institute)
*

**9. Anita Borg -Nominate an Exceptional Individual for an award
(Nominations Due May 2)
Nominate: *http://anitaborg.org/initiatives/awards/*
*
Were you inspired by an exceptional educator to pursue a career in
technology when in school? Do you know a technical person or team whose work
is having a positive impact on women? Do you know someone doing
inspirational work in technology and engineering fields? Are you aware of a
technical woman doing commendable work in a developing country? Honor
someone you know by nominating them for one of our prestigious awards today!

Award-winners will be honored at the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in
Computing in Portland, Oregon, November 9 - 12, 2011. Nominations are due
May 2.

*10. Boston Area Rape Crisis Center - Sexual Violence Prevention Fellow
Applications
Deadline: *Applicants on rolling basis; appla ASAP and before May 27
*Contact*: Stephanie Trilling, BARCC, strilling at barcc.org; Kelly Adams,
adam at med.mit.edu*
Website*: www.barcc.org and http://www.masspromise.org/

Massachusetts Promise Fellows deliver the resources that young people need
to be successful in life by mobilizing and organizing community activity,
creating and leading powerful initiatives, and training and inspiring
citizen volunteers. The Massachusetts Promise Fellowship achieves this by
placing Fellows with non-profit organizations and state/local government
agencies that focus on fulfilling the needs of our youth by providing; a
caring adult, a safe place, a healthy start, a marketable skill, and an
opportunity to give back.

The mission of the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC) is to end sexual
violence through healing and social change. BARCC is the only provider of
free, comprehensive rape crisis services in the Greater Boston area (29
cities and towns). We offer 24-hour hotline, 24-hour medical accompaniment,
counseling, legal advocacy, case management to victims and families and
community outreach, education and training to communities. The Fellow
serving at BARCC will focus on delivering health education to youth and
raising awareness of sexual violence and survivor resources.

*11. [Mass-AWIS] Building and Enriching your Mentoring Relationships (Mon
May 2, 6-9p)
When:* Monday, May 2, 2011 from 6:00 to 9:00 pm*
Where: *36-3002*
**Cost:* $10 AWIS members & post‐docs/students; $20 for non‐members

Mentors can enrich your career in many ways and we all have the capacity to
also learn by mentoring and teaching others.  This program/workshop will
introduce the participants to many important skills
·        How to find, select and approach a mentor
·        How to manage the logistics of a healthy mentoring relationship
·        Tools to make your mentoring relationships more productive
·        Skills each of us can develop to be better mentors ourselves
 *

*