[ecco-support] Downloading OCCA data -- FTP link broken

Geoff Stanley gstanley at uvic.ca
Tue Jul 11 14:42:09 EDT 2023

Hello,

It seems the FTP link for OCCA data
<ftp://mit.ecco-group.org/ecco_for_las/OCCA_1x1_v2/2004-6/>, provided on
the ECCO All Products webpage <https://www.ecco-group.org/products.htm>,
now requires a password. I have a NASA Earthdata Account (e.g. for
accessing ECCOv4r4 data), but I have not found OCCA data on that ECCO
Drive <https://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/drive/files>. I use OCCA data myself as
a useful test dataset for developing algorithms, and I maintain a Python
package that uses OCCA data for running an example calculation: see
https://github.com/geoffstanley/neutralocean/blob/main/neutralocean/examples/load_OCCA.py,
which used to automatically download two OCCA files, but now throws an
authentication error.

Please let me know if there is still a way to access OCCA data. Is there
a password for an anonymous login? Ideally, OCCA data can be downloaded
without having to sign up for an account, which makes my script much
easier for users to run. If a user does need to create an account to get
OCCA data, is it allowed (legal) for me to upload these two OCCA files
to a permanent file hosting service like Zenodo or Figshare?

Thanks very much,
Geoff

P.S. Sorry to send this to both emails; not sure who's remit this falls
under.

--
Geoff Stanley
Banting Postdoctoral Researcher