[ecco-support] Weird bolus velocity behavior

Wenrui Jiang wjiang33 at jhu.edu
Tue Jul 11 12:28:06 EDT 2023

Dear ECCO support team,

I realized that there is a particular grid point's bolus velocity has some weird behavior. My understanding is that bolus velocity by definition should be divergent free (see http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node201.html). But the ECCOv4r4 output (original LLC grid) is pretty strongly divergent at that grid point. Also, the UVELSTAR and VVELSTAR with the same indices is the same throughout the daily mean dataset. I downloaded one monthly mean dataset (1992-02) and found the value to also be the same.

The index of the grid point is k = 0, tile = 10, j = 52, i = 89. The grid cell is quite particular: it is connected to 2 land-masked cell, one of which is in a different face and the column is only 2 layers deep. I did not find any other example of such behaviors. Is it a bug or a known behavior?

Thanks,
Wenrui Jiang

Ph.D. Student,
Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences,
Johns Hopkins University.

Email: wjiang33 at jh.edu