[Dspace-general] Comparison of EPrints, DSpace and Fedora (fwd)

Sayeed Choudhury sayeed at jhu.edu
Sat Dec 10 14:44:18 EST 2005

** Apologies for receipt of duplicate postings **

Arthur,

I have noted your message on more than one list, so I've taken the
liberty of copying each of them to inform individuals who follow
those lists.  Regarding a comparison of repository software, our
group at Johns Hopkins is conducting a technology-based analysis of
repositories and applications with funding from the Mellon
Foundation.  Our choices include DSpace, Fedora, ePrints, Digital
Commons (ProQuest's offering based on BePress), and applications
include Sakai, and various e-publishing systems such as Open Journal
Systems (OJS), and DiVA.  We are working with the DPubS team to
include their software as well, and we're also considering if we can
include Moodle and LionShare as well.  Finally, we have a strong
emphasis on digital preservation capabilities for the repositories.
The main purpose of our analysis is to examine each of these systems
with a transparent, clearly defined methodology beginning with
stories or scenarios that are mapped into use cases and what we are
calling key events, from which we are defining functional
requirements for repositories to support various types of content and
uses.  In addition to the repositories and applications, we are
examining whether JSR-170, OKI DR OSIDs and perhaps an implementation
of IMS DRI can support integration of repositories and applications
through a generalized interface layer that spans across different
services without specific out of band agreements.

While we haven't included costs information, we have tracked
installation issues, features, and other technology matters.
Ultimately, we hope to develop a methodology that might allow the
community to address the types of question you describe with an
objective, rigorous approach, and a taxonomy of repositories that
will allow us to identify gaps in functionality.

Our project wiki is available at https://wiki.library.jhu.edu/display/
RepoAnalysis/ProjectRepository

You can also find further information at http://ldp.library.jhu.edu/
projects/repository

 From this web page, you can find our original proposal to the Mellon
Foundation and two presentations at previous CNI and DLF conferences
under the "Documents" tab.

I would be happy to answer any questions you (or others) might have
in this regard.

Sayeed

Sayeed Choudhury
Associate Director for Library Digital Programs
Hodson Director of the Digital Knowledge Center
Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University
sayeed at jhu.edu
http://ldp.library.jhu.edu