[Dspace-general] Comparison of EPrints, DSpace and Fedora (fwd)

Sayeed Choudhury sayeed at jhu.edu
Sat Dec 10 18:59:04 EST 2005

Arthur,

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with much of it.  While
it's only one (and probably incomplete) method to do so, we are
hoping that by gathering various scenarios from multiple
institutions, we are gathering some sense of what type of
functionality people require.  I understand this factor may, in fact,
end up not reflecting the choices that *people* make, but I hope
there's some connection between what people state they need, and what
software they choose accordingly.  Then again, I've always believed
that economists are the only ones who really believe that people make
rational choices :-)  It may be the case that people are simply
making choices because they feel compelled to do so, and don't have a
road map or guideline for making choices.  Without some sort of
objective and rigorous analysis, people most probably can not make
informed or even consistent decisions.  What we are attempting to do
is not easy, and requires a fairly unique set of expertise.  In other
cases, people may not have the resources to conduct a more thorough
review.

I would hope that by identifying and delineating relative strengths
and weaknesses of various systems, we might encourage developers to
refrain from building the entire set of functionality within their
particular software, and rather interface with other software that
offers complementary functionality.

Regarding the point about researchers as "searcher" as opposed to
"author" I would welcome further feedback from you.  Would you be
willing to develop scenarios that reflect these distinct roles as you
see them?  I would also be eager to hear what you may have heard from
others in response to your original message.  Thanks.

Sayeed