[acs-r] Problem with ACS package

Holt, Dennis Dennis.Holt at dhhs.nh.gov
Mon Aug 15 14:15:11 EDT 2016

Ezra,
I just restarted R-Studio an reran the commands:
      > nh.pop <- acs.fetch(endyear=year, geo = geo.make(state = 33),
      + table.number = "B01003")
      trying URL 'http://web.mit.edu/eglenn/www/acs/acs-variables/acs_5yr_2014_var.xml.gz'
      Content type 'application/xml' length 729614 bytes (712 KB)
      downloaded 712 KB

      Error in if (url.test["statusMessage"] != "OK") { :
        missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
      In addition: Warning message:
      In (function (endyear, span = 5, dataset = "acs", keyword, table.name,  :
        XML variable lookup tables for this request
        seem to be missing from ' http://api.census.gov/data/2014/acs5/variables.xml ';
        temporarily downloading and using archived copies instead;
        since this is *much* slower, recommend running
        acs.tables.install()

There was a delay that feels like a time-out.  Could be the MIT directory is not accessible from our location.  Or our State IT may have started blocking it for some unimaginable reason.
Please let me know if there is more I can try.
Dennis