[acs-r] ACS 1-year 2012 data added to API

Ezra Haber Glenn eglenn at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 19 15:38:58 EDT 2013

As I understand it, the only 2012 1-year data available through the
API is the "Data Profiles," which are different in character from the
other census tables -- they look like this:
<http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=ACS_11_5YR_DP02&prodType=table>.
The acs package doesn't currently download them, although I could
modify it to do so -- do you think those are often used by people
working in R?

At Thu, 19 Sep 2013 15:11:17 -0400, Brian Bowling wrote:

> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
>
> [1.2  <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> The Census Bureau announced today that the 2012 1-year data is available through the API. I’ve been
> trying to fetch the DP02 table using the acs package without any luck.
>
> For example, this code produces the following error message:
>
> dp02 <- acs.fetch(state='PA', table.number="DP02", endyear=2012)
>
> In acs.fetch(state = "PA", table.number = "DP02", endyear = 2012) :
>
>   As of the date of this version of the acs package
>
>   Census API did not provides data for selected endyear
>
> Does this mean the package has to be updated before it can fetch the 2012 data or am I using the wrong
> variables for the fetch?
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian Bowling
>
> Reporter
>
> Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
>
> triblive.com
>
> (o) 412-325-4301
>
> (c) 412-549-1707
>

> [2  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]

Ezra Haber Glenn, AICP
Department of Urban Studies and Planning
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Ave., Room 7-337
Cambridge, MA 02139
eglenn at mit.edu