[acs-r] ACS 1-year 2012 data added to API

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Thu Sep 19 18:53:47 EDT 2013

Quoting Ezra Haber Glenn <eglenn at MIT.EDU>:

> As I understand it, the only 2012 1-year data available through the
> API is the "Data Profiles," which are different in character from the
> other census tables -- they look like this:
> <http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=ACS_11_5YR_DP02&prodType=table>.
> The acs package doesn't currently download them, although I could
> modify it to do so -- do you think those are often used by people
> working in R?

The data journalists I hang out with generally camp out on the Census
(and other government data sites) and grab data as soon as it's
posted. Most of them work with Excel and perhaps an RDBMS - the name
of the game is getting the story right and fast, which precludes
learning a new programming language with some rather obscure
programming paradigms. ;-)

So I'd say poll the acs.R community, but I wouldn't rush to code
something for general Census users.

Here's a sample Census story - data was released yesterday or today!

http://t.co/XWciqOfGS0