[Tango-L] Vocals and Dancing

Laura V laura at lavatop.com
Tue Oct 13 16:13:41 EDT 2015

What I don't understand about the milongueros who don't dance to music
with vocals, does this mean they only dance to music they recognize? Is
it possible to know all of the hundreds (1000s?) of danceable,
golden-age selections to know which ones contain vocals, or do they have
to sit out a lot, or at least for the first song in a tanda to make sure
it's an instrumental, and then hope the rest of the tanda is
instrumental as well. It's not even enough to just recognize the song,
but you would have to know which version is being played, as I believe
there exist vocal and non-vocal versions of some songs. Or is it easier
than I think to recognize an instrumental right away? I admit I've never
really thought about this, maybe I should test my skill at it.

Laura