[Tango-L] Vocals and Dancing

Roger roger at websa.com.au
Sat Oct 10 21:27:57 EDT 2015

HI Lois, Yes, I have heard tango dancers say that the singer "gets in the way".
They are in the minority.
I only "get into the dance" once the singer starts.
Although I have no idea what they are saying I feel the passion.
Consequently I tend to play more vocals than instrumentals.
Having said I must admit that there are some vocals that are awful and ruin the tune.
With respect to Gardel, I can think of nothing more respectful than dancing to the singer.
However, surely we don't dance to Gardel because he uses rubato (push & pull, resulting in the same
beat being in two different places in time, a fraction of a second apart).
I once tested this at a milonga and played two versions of Mi Buenos Aires querido by Canaro.
One with Carlos Galan and the other with Gardel. Yes Gardel's voice is beautiful and rich, but the consensus among the dancers was that Gardel is not for dancing.

Roger (Tango Adelaide)