[Tango-L] Adios Osvaldo

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Sat Oct 10 18:11:58 EDT 2015

 I wrote this on a DJ forum recently: "In Buenos Aires, I often ran into
leaders who would not dance to music with singers. They didn't like to say
why, but it was a point of principal. Of course, the DJ's there never play
songs with women singers. I've heard the reason is the singer deserves
respect, so you shouldn't dance to them (kind of like not dancing to
Gardel), and also that the way the singer influences the tempo makes the
dance difficult."

I got this reply: "I've been spending a lot of my spare time lately
retagging my tango music, adding singers, dates, etc. along with spelling
corrections.

One of those is a set of 20 CDs sold by the DJ at El Beso, that I bought
there back in '02.  This is the same set of music Susana Miller takes with
her on her travels. And what set could possibly be described "traditional"
anymore than the music played at El Beso?

Out of 480 songs (120 tandas), 273 have vocals, and 207 are instrumentals,
and yes, that is including the 40 Pugliese instrumentals. That's almost 60%
vocals. From music selected by the DJ at El Beso for dancing.So when some
Argentine tells you he doesn't dance to vocals, he is either pulling your
leg or is a poser/dilettante."

And later:
"Yes I’m sure there are dancers who refuse to dance to vocals. My thesis
they are outliers, and are not representative of dancers in BsAs or
elsewhere. And I stand by my hypothesis that they are either joking or
posers and dilettantes. It is inane for a DJ to cater their ignorant whims
by limiting what he/she plays at a milonga."

And from someone else:
"posers and dilettante" sounds about right to me as well. What does such a
person do when the DJ plays an instrumental as the first song of a tanda
and then plays a vocal?

Am I way off base here? Any other DJ's out there who have heard of those
who prefer instrumentals? If so, should we respect that or try to change
them?
ᐧ

Lois Donnay
www.mndance.com