[Tango-L] Where do you learn technique

John Lowry john at lowry.com.au
Sat May 30 22:20:23 EDT 2015

Felicity writes:
I've never actually had a persuasive explanation about
what people think technique is as something you really
have to learn in class.
Ming Mar:
If not in a class, where do you learn technique?

Remember when you were a child learning football, music, hockey, ballet, judo etc,  The coach / teacher would teach and demonstrate technique in the class.  Afterwards you would practice everywhere and at every opportunity until you got it right. It’s called passion.  Why is it that dancers believe they can learn Tango technique in four easy lessons with no extra effort?  Or attend classes and workshops for years without any extra practice?  It’s never going to happen.  You can’t learn Tango by soaking it up in the bath (or class).  Where is the passion to learn? To be good? The No 1 excuse is, “I do not have a partner to practice with”, but when you were a child you didn’t need the team for motivation.  Practice alone and often, that’s how to learn technique.  The coach can then make little corrections in class.
John