[Tango-L] Club Sunderland closure

Jocelyn Paine jocelynpaine at gci.net
Tue Jun 30 13:12:55 EDT 2015

Oh, dear, I gasped when I saw the announcement about Sunderland closing. It was a “must-go-and-dance” stop on one of my first visits to BsAs, though I personally don’t dance the slightly open abrazo style necessary there. Sunderland was a charming place, and I throughly enjoyed my evening. As I watched I imagined stories about the older couples, sweetly dancing together for the many years of their marriage, dancing out the minor arguments, restoring their affections for each other. I even met one of those couples later, Matilde y Sergio; I painted them and included their portrait in a tango notecard set I published. Dancers at Sunderland were from the community: families, young beginners, dancers who had been tangoing for decades. Sunderland was not as elegant as some of the milongas in El Centro, but that was part of its delight. This was a courtly, social, hospitable milonga and I’m sorry to hear of the closing.

Still, things change. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to experience this part of the history of tango in Buenos Aires.

Jocelyn Paine
(907) 276-8195
PO Box 91366, Anchorage, AK, 99509
http://www.jocelynpaine.com/