[Tango-L] Women's power in tango

allen zen at vqme.net
Mon Jun 15 21:13:36 EDT 2015

I dance mostly  in Boston, the mecca for
Argentine Tango that Sharukh founded, thank God
for him. I love the community. It gives more to
me than I can ever repay  to it.

I seek out every follower in a milonga to dance
(except those who one way or another convey their
disinterest.)  I dance with every follower who
asks me, whether by cabeceo or direct face to face request.

There is no tanda with anyone that I have ever
regretted.  The only regret I experience is the
regret a follower shares with me that ours is the
only tanda she danced tonight.

A community will stagnate for many reasons.  One
reason is that people feel unwelcome.  I pray
that does not happen to my Tango Society of Boston community.

At 07:57 AM 6/13/2015, Shahrukh Merchant wrote:
>What a nice post, reminiscent of the some of the articulate and
>expressive posts of Tango-L's own "golden age"! A model post, really, in
>how even your disagreements with what others write are respectfully
>presented without losing any of their force. Please write more! :-) And
>feel free to copy your "Why I don't need saving" post onto the list as
>well; it would be interesting to see the range of opinions and reasons.
>
>The main reason I find for women or men not getting to dance as much as
>they would like is the simplest of them all: demand and supply (aka
>gender balance in a milonga setting). And just like in the non-tango
>world, demand and supply forces can be modulated to some extent in the
>same way that it is in the commercial world: E.g.,
>    - having a better quality product (however you define it)
>    - marketing the better qualities that your mixed-quality product has
>    - excellent marketing of a poor-quality product
>etc. etc. (though the metaphor breaks down with "volume discounts" which
>doesn't really transfer over to Tango :-)).
>
>Referring to the article you mentioned where the French guy was
>proposing symmetry in men and women being "allowed" to ask the other to
>dance: in terms of my own preference, I have no interest in being asked
>*directly* to dance by a woman (with the usual exceptions of those who
>know me well enough to do so, and I have no problem with the occasional
>"ladies' choice" tanda that some milongas have). But women have all
>sorts of ways of asking without having to ask directly, so they are
>hardly disempowered. Vive la différence! as far as I'm
>concerned--androgynous tango holds little interest for me.
>
>Shahrukh

Allen Swartz
16 Stillman Road
Melrose MA 02176