[Tango-L] Interesting Questions: To use heels or not....

Gayle Hand gayle.hand at frontier.com
Wed Apr 29 16:36:25 EDT 2015

Hello Lois and others who may be intested in the use of heels or not issue,

When taking lessons from a variety of teachers it is to be expected that each will be biased toward their own way of doing things and conflicting "instructions" will seem confusing to the student!   In any discipline we are taught "rules" to facilitate learning new skills.... Once we are sufficiently proficient in the tango "rules", we can likely break them all and still be dancing with beauty and accomplishment.

Also, more astute teachers will give different advice to different students depending on the teacher's personal abilities of assessment and the student's learning needs at that particular moment in time.  For example:   Beginners without any notion of axis are often told to be more more firm and less "noodle-like" and  to "give resistance" thus resulting in a certain all over stiffness which allows beginning follows to be guided by beginning and intermediate leads more easily.  Both feel as if they are dancing.... But in my reality the follow is being pushed around like an inanimate object.  Eventually this "technique" is not a good thing IMHO.  If it goes on too long and becomes habit both leads and follows can get stuck in "the land of long term beginners".

The above may be a useful and necessary phase in learning, but to advance further both must become more relaxed and embrace the idea that the lead invites but the follow moves herself.... They move virtually simultaneously in response to the musical cues.  In this next phase the follow must be relaxed and balanced on her own axis and the lead must refrain from initiating leads that require any pushing or pulling.  This is opposite from the first phase where the follow is being almost completely "micromanaged" by the lead and the timing of her movement is cued by the lead and not by the music.

So you see, different advise/instruction is given in different phases to accomplish the immediate goal.  For the novice it is important that they are helped to have the illusion they are dancing so they don't give up.  For the slightly more experienced it is necessary to move past that illusion by learning and using a different technique in order to be a desirable partner to more advanced, accomplished dancers.  Frustration at either level may result in dancers leaving the dance community prematurely!

Now, on to your specific question about using heels.... There are professional and high level amateur tango dancers using either or both approaches (roll through whole foot including the heel... stay on ball of foot only).   Either are acceptable obviously, but one or the other may be better for some individuals at various stages of learning.

Staying up on the ball of the foot at all times may facilitate learning "axis" in the beginning phase - the follow must tense her muscles in order for the lead to move her since energy will not transmit through a limp noodle.  This may be just fine for beginning follows who already have core strength, strong ankles, and good balance and shock absorption habits - they are typically ballet or gymnastic trained individuals.  They can do it without leaning too heavily on their partners and without straining and potentially injuring elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, ankles or feet.

For the rest of us mere mortal social dancers, trying to stay on the ball of our feet at all times may make us too heavy on our partners (potentially causing back and shoulder pain for him) and may risk injury to ourselves.  Pain is a frequently cited reason for giving up tango.

It has been my observation that letting our weight roll through the whole foot -heel to toe and toes to heel - on all linear steps facilitates good alignment and good balance.  Using the heel to push off the floor gives power, control and good foot alignment.  Energy to move then comes from the floor not your partner and this allows you not to be too heavy on your partner.   Again you are moving yourself rather than being pushed by your partner.

Even in pivoting, the heels can help control the degree of rotation by "braking" at the correct precise time.   Using the heel will protect your feet from rolling to the outer edge as you push off instead of falling into the circular movements of giros, etc.  This is the most common technical error I see when watching dancers of every ability level.  Seeing feet be "pigeon toed" even momentarily offends my sense of aesthetics, but this isn't of any importance.... The real problem is the risk of injury to feet and ankles!  Again, injury and pain is a common reason people stop dancing so I think it is VERY important for each of us to try and use what works best for us as individuals!  Note, also, the technique of using heels is only one facet among many important factors - pelvic position, hip and feet position, posture, flexibility, use of gluteal muscles instead of quadriceps to move legs etc.

Finally, I would like to say something about shoe construction.  Some tango shoes have a slight practically imperceptible ledge above the arch for the heel of the foot to rest on rather than being a straight slope down from heel to toe.  This ledge prevents the weight from being slid continuously to the ball.  I suspect that even if you are using ball only technique for dancing (where heel construction and placement wouldn't make a bit of differences), having this type shoe may still be beneficial to giving the ball of the foot a little rest when just walking and sitting!  Be mindful of this when trying on and buying shoes!

The above is entirely the observations and opinion from a social dancer who does not teach and who has only moderate dance aptitude and thus should not be considered "expert" opinion of a professional.... But know, too, I have studied diligently with some of the finest and have danced for hours on end in BsAs without foot pain!

Best regards,
Gayle