[Tango-L] Overteaching

Michael tangomaniac at optimum.net
Wed Apr 29 14:14:10 EDT 2015

Lois:
I think the women you're describing are going through the learning process and they are discovering new aspects. IMHO, they obsess with "being on their own axis" so they no longer have to think or feel "Am I on my axis." There is so much to learn that after a while, dancers realize they may have been taught some aspects out of sequence. (The sequence is different for everybody.)

If teachers just teach steps instead of the fundaments I was taught (axis, frame, posture, balance), some dancers have problems and look for the missing pieces. I was consumed by the fundamentals because I didn't pivot well. My frame was broken. I couldn't advance until these problems were fixed. OMG, the crazy things I did to improve.

Michael
Came home to New York where the Argentine Tango is better