[Tango-L] Interesting question

Michael tangomaniac at optimum.net
Sun Apr 26 23:38:10 EDT 2015

Hello Lois:

I learned from the grand days of Tango L to avoid "right" and "wrong" so I won't use those words.

I understand putting the heels on the floor without weight but keeping the weight on the ball of the foot. It doesn't make any sense to put weight on the heels. The heel on the floor acts like a parking brake that will block the woman from pivoting. Also, if the weight is on the heel, the woman will fall backward into the next step.

I dance close embrace and Apilado style. I dance on the balls of my feet so my torso is slightly forward so I can make contact with the woman’s chest. I’m going to have difficulty leading her if her weight is back on her heels because she can’t present her chest. The follower can take longer steps if she is on the ball of the foot instead of the heel. (Short steps lead to big problems.)

Do teachers contradict other teachers? Since there seems to be multiple ways of dancing tango, they express the style that works best for them. I can’t dance flat footed or have weight on my heel. Maybe some teachers can dance that way, but I can’t.

Is this really a preference issue instead of a “right vs. wrong” issue. My advice is stay with the technique that works best for you. Everybody isn’t compatible with everybody else on the dance floor. I’m sticking with my style even if some teachers say it’s wrong. That’s OK. They can dance with somebody else. When no one will dance with me, I’ll change my technique.

P.S. Lois, the Minneapolis Visitors Center sent tourist info in case I stop at MSP on my return from Portland, OR tango fest in October.

Michael

Came home to New York where the Argentine Tango is better