[Tango-L] Disney and Argentine inspirations

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Tue Apr 14 22:44:04 EDT 2015

Steve wrote:

> Possibly the boy had heard some Tango music in a Mickey Mouse cartoon.
> know I was exposed to a lot of other culture music in cartoons as a
> child.

This is the case.

I grew up in small-town Ontario with eyes and ears glued to the one
snowy TV station we could reliably get. I came to realize as an adult
that my earliest classical music education came from the old cartoons.
Of course the reason there was so much classical music in them (aside
from the great theatrical possibilities) was that all that music was in
the Public Domain and therefore no royalties had to be paid by the
producers.

That didn't stop some amount of "borrowing" by Hollywood and I am quite
sure that I heard some milonga first in cartoons when I was very, very
young.

And then when you consider that Walt Disney's biggest inspiration was
the Italian/Argentine animation artist Quirino Cristiani, strands of the
thread come together in unexpected insight.