[Tango-L] The resurrection of Tango-L?: Part 2. Who's still interested? And why or why not?

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Wed Apr 8 13:34:53 EDT 2015

Instead of just presenting all the raw numbers from the survey, I
thought it would be more useful to provide them grouped and in the
context of questions about the continuation of the list. This email
addresses some of the survey questions related to the subject
line--subsequent ones will address the others.

* HOW INTERESTED WERE YOU IN TANGO-L POSTS WHEN THEY CAME INTO YOUR
INBOX (OR USED TO)?

55%: Read it all
45%: Scanned it and read selectively

Of course those who didn't read them at all are presumably
under-represented since they didn't read the email about the survey
either ...

* DO YOU WANT TO SEE MORE POSTS ON TANGO-L? SHOULD THE LIST CONTINUE?

A full 80% of respondents said they wanted to see more posts. Again,
there is some self-selection since those who respondend presumably have
more interest in the list to start out with, than those who didn't, but
there is still a lot of interest AT LEAST IN READING (which may be the
crux of the problem ...).

Similarly, 70% thought the list should continue, but 80% would
resubscribe if it continued and moved to another server (apparently
including some who thought the list shouldn't continue).

Comments on why the list should or shouldn't continue ... could be
summed up either as "nostalgia" or "interesting discussions" for those
who think it should continue and "obsolete" or "lack of interest" for
those who think it shouldn't, but here are the comments (relatively few
answered this "why or why not" question):

SHOULD CONTINUE
- I miss it
- It helps me keep up my interest
- Because I'm not on Fadcebook [sic] and similar things.
- Read sometimes interesting postings
- I love discussions on tango
- I was one of those people that thought for a while that Tango-L should
just die a quiet, if very sad, death. However, I could not bring myself
to delete all the mails, nor to actually unsubscribe. Somewhere in the
recesses of my mind, Tango-L occupies a special place. And I can't let go.

SHOULDN'T CONTINUE
- no traffic
- platforms have shifted a while ago
- Interest seems to be lacking.
- List serves such as Tango-L are a relic of the past.

* AND WHY ARE YOU STILL ON IT EVEN WITH VERY LITTLE TRAFFIC?

50% "Why not?" Doesn't cost anything to be on it and there may be a good
post now and then
40% "Still hoping" ... for it to come back to life
10% "I'm still on it??"

With additional comments:
- Low cost Longshot. Life=good discussion
- Last efforts to post something met only with technical rejections.
- After the Tango-A survey, it started me thinking, and I dropped
Facebook [ed. Congrats!]
- I've unsubscribed a long time ago [ed. or so he thought ...]

* AND WHAT WOULD BE YOUR IDEAL MEDIUM FOR A TANGO DISCUSSION FORUM?

Well, despite all the comments on "obsolete medium," etc., people still
ended up choosing a listserv by a wide margin over the next-highest
choice--go figure!

50% Tango-L-like mailing list
20% Web forum
15% Facebook
5% Blog
5% Other
5% Not interested in Tango discussions

Additional comments:
- or web or blog forums also
- Something like RangfinderForum.com, with a moderater who manages the
site and keeps it from becoming an 7th grade
- Rss
- Whichever will be most successful
- email attachments are too much trouble to read.
- Although mailing lists such as Tango-L might now be considered
obsolete, I much prefer these kinds of lists where (one thinks) there is
less of a knee-jerk, reactive type of posting of the type one might see
on social media sites.

OK, that's it for today's update. My next post will cover the following
topics (also based on survey results):

- So why aren't all these people who want Tango-L to continue posting
themselves?
- What ARE people using to get their Tango forum fix?

Shahrukh