[Tango-L] questions about the individual leader's dance

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 4 13:55:02 EDT 2013

 In my own case, I usually will never attempt a figure that I haven't mastered in practice.
 Fortunately, I have a dancer with whom I can practice a few times a week.
 By 'mastered' I only mean that the movement is solid and done without any thinking/planing.

 Spontaneity is the important aspect in the social dance and listening to the music is what provokes it.
 I will take risks later in the night when I've been dancing a bit and want to stretch out my dancing experience.
  For me, a 'risk' is usually comprised of extra turns on the giros and quickly combining it with another movement like walking backwards and/or a calasita thrown in there, all the while letting the music take me.
  I can't take 'risks' with every partner... I don't even do it with my practice partner because she just doesn't give me that extra enthusiasm./confidence that I can feel when with a dancer who is fast, light and nimble.. her dance is just not that way...it's more plodding with slower reactions...so everyone is different.
  Sometimes, I can feel an inattention or a boredom from my partner...this even for an instant is soooo unnerving  that my whole dance is likely to go rapidly downhill from there..all chances of surprise and flow are greatly diminished.
 Like the video I already posted...one very delightful aspect of what I call a good dance is when the musical phrases end in sync with my own dance phrasing...When the pauses, starts and finishes all make musical sense.  Even if the dance was done with only the same three or four dance movements done over and  over in different combos... the dance can still feel like perfection when the musicality is right on...