[Tango-L] The state of "nuevo" music

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Sun Sep 23 16:51:06 EDT 2012

I had an interesting discussion at a milonga last night.  In the middle of
another tanda of nuevo music, I expressed my opinion that it is not a good
idea to play too much nuevo music, especially during a time when beginners
are dancing.  I feel it is crucial to dance to authentic tango music at the
beginning of tango learning. Without it, students get used to not dancing
to the music, using it only as a background to tango moves. (What I really
feel is that there is hardly any reason to play Nuevo...)

Anyway, I don't want this to become a thread about the pros and cons of
dancing tango to non-tango music.  I'd just like some backup.  One woman
told me that "this is what the young people in BA are dancing to now".  I
go to Buenos Aires every year.  That may have been true for a brief time.
Except for one year back in, maybe 2009, I have not seen the "kids" dancing
to anything but fairly solid Golden Age.  Can all of you back  me up?

And another thing - why is it so important for us to do what the kids do?
Don't older folks have any influence anywhere? OK, rambling here, better
stop....

Lois Donnay
Minnesota