[Tango-L] chatting during the cortinas

Niki Papapetrou niki.papapetrou at gmail.com
Sat May 26 02:55:41 EDT 2012

so true. I remember a personal experience here in melbounre. one of the
local dancers (male) who used to not waste a single
second of the music, had just come back from BsAs. we started the tanda and
at the end of the first song we let go and i mentioned somethin along the
lines of' its good to have you back in Melb'. As the music started up
again, i leaned forward. 'No, no', he said , as he pulled back , 'in BsAs
they dont start dancing straight away, they chat for a while...'. I
humoured him and we resumed dancig when he deemed it appropriate :) . I do
still dance with this person occasionally, but i havent been able to take
him seriously as a person or as a dancer ever since this incident.

On 26 May 2012 08:53, Huck Kennedy <tempehuck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Tango 22 <tango22 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sergio comments............
> > > The conversation we are discussing is very brief, a few seconds,
> > > the duration depends on when the couple in front of you starts
> > > moving, it does (it should) not disrupt the ronda at all.
> >
> > This is why one wonders if this pleasant custom has become a boorish
> affectation,
>
>       Alas, here in the US, I fear you are right.  Often at festivals
> I'll see a couple rudely continuing to obliviously chat away two
> minutes into the song, and if you dare to challenge their rudeness by
> either saying something or passing them, they give you this
> condescending look that says, "Did you just start dancing yesterday
> (as opposed to our a year ago, we're seasoned veterans!)?  Haven't you
> ever been to Buenos Aires, we read somewhere that you are *supposed*
> to recite your entire life history or decide the next presidential
> election or discuss all the movies you've seen in the previous six
> months before resuming the dance, or you're not a real tanguero."
>
> Huck

Yours in dance dementia,
Niki