[Tango-L] chatting during the cortinas

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Fri May 25 18:53:51 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Tango 22 <tango22 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sergio comments............
> > The conversation we are discussing is very brief, a few seconds,
> > the duration depends on when the couple in front of you starts
> > moving, it does (it should) not disrupt the ronda at all.
>
> This is why one wonders if this pleasant custom has become a boorish affectation,

      Alas, here in the US, I fear you are right.  Often at festivals
I'll see a couple rudely continuing to obliviously chat away two
minutes into the song, and if you dare to challenge their rudeness by
either saying something or passing them, they give you this
condescending look that says, "Did you just start dancing yesterday
(as opposed to our a year ago, we're seasoned veterans!)?  Haven't you
ever been to Buenos Aires, we read somewhere that you are *supposed*
to recite your entire life history or decide the next presidential
election or discuss all the movies you've seen in the previous six
months before resuming the dance, or you're not a real tanguero."

Huck