[Tango-L] Buenos Aires Milonga traditions outside Buenos Aires (WAS chacarera skirts)

rde@exemail.com.au rde at exemail.com.au
Mon May 21 20:34:14 EDT 2012

On 21/05/12 14:33, Shahrukh Merchant wrote:
> .. talking through the first 30 seconds or so ....

Ah .. would that it were only 30 seconds...
My wife's friend, while in BA, took the trouble to time this phenomenon
- and it was 1m20s before the last couple stopped talking and used the
dance floor to actually dance.

Locally, we have a number of exponents of the custom, and often they
find it necessary to talk beyond a minute while dancers negotiate the
resultant chicane.. Far from making any effort to be aware of the
inconvenience they cause, an air of studied indifference is de rigeur.
It adds to the authenticity, it seems. On one occasion I saw  this
carried to the extreme, by a particularly staunch adherent spending the
entire track, hands in pockets, engaged in conversation.

It would be nice to see adherence to a custom of using a little common
sense.

Roger Edgecombe
Melbourne, Australia.