[Tango-L] Buenos Aires Milonga traditions outside Buenos Aires (WAS chacarera skirts)

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Mon May 21 22:28:54 EDT 2012

Great subject.  A few other things I note:
Milongas are at different times here - not starting at 11PM!  They are also
shorter.  When I DJ, I choose 3 song tandas, because 4 is too much for all
but the best dancers, and also makes it impossible to dance with lots
of people in 3 or 4 hours.

All these BA codigos should be introduced when the community is ready for
it, not be forced on people.  After all, this should be enjoyable! Being
thrown into a new cultural milieu can be exciting, or miserable when nobody
is comfortable.  After dancing tango worldwide for 16 years now, I believe
there is no milonga in the world like a Buenos Aires milonga nor will ever
be. That's why I go back every year.  And sit and commisserate with the
other US teachers and complain that there are no milongas anywhere else in
the world like a Buenos Aires milonga. :)

Lois
Minneapolis