[Tango-L] short film of tango

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Feb 21 06:56:15 EST 2012

On 21/02/2012 08:43, "Christian Lüthen" wrote:
> That may be true, Joanne,
> but I do not agree on the (tango)myth that only a Porteno or
> Argentinian is able to get the essence.

Agreed. And the tacit claim that goes with it --that all Porteños
grok it-- is sadly also a myth; there are also oafs in BsAs.

There are people with the right attitude to grok it and the wrong
attitude that prevents them from grokking it to everywhere and it
will appeal universally to those with the correct sensibility. It
may all mean something slightly different to everyone, but that's
inevitable: we are all individuals who were born and
bred and developed a unique identity.

The fact it has universal appeal is, in my mind, why it truly is
world cultural heritage and not some idiosyncratic local folklore.

All I'll agree with is that it may be easier to grok if you're
a Porteño, just because you're immersed in a culture which was
not toxic to tango. But then, I'm not sure that is actually
obvious or will remain true forever, since Argentine culture
and attitudes will change with time (in fact, it has).