[Tango-L] short film of tango

Balazs Gyenis gyepi at hps.elte.hu
Mon Feb 20 15:09:13 EST 2012

> that doesn't resort to cliches. Can tango tell a story more
> complex than just the competition of men for a beautiful woman,
> and the acceptance or rejection of their advances? I'd like to

 It sounds like you missed the main story which has nothing to do with the
competition of men for a woman. The key character is the old guy who
protects the happiness of the woman with whom he probably lost touch with
since she was a child. The movie is full of subtleties framing this story,
including the choice of music (me thinks using Malena as an opening song is
quite perfect match and indeed I feel the movie enriched the possible
interpretation of the context of Malena's lyrics as well).
 Watch it again, it's worthwhile.
 (Another nice short movie from couple of years ago is Tanghi Argentini,
can be found on youtube as well; it uses tango similarly to deliver a story
of kindness.)

     Gy.B.

--
Balazs Gyenis
Department of History and Philosophy of Science, University of Pittsburgh