[Tango-L] chacarera skirts

Cherie Magnus macfroggy at aol.com
Sat Apr 7 07:36:22 EDT 2012

Just so you know, here in BsAs the chacarera is danced a lot of course, often one tanda at a milonga. And at the Gaucho Fair on Sundays, and all the time on television.

If you want to go the historic route, then the women wear the full skirt prairie dresses of the "china" or gaucho's woman. However since this dance is not like the skirt-twirling of Mexican folklore or flamenco, when people dance in modern dress the women wear sleek gowns and use their arms in simple movements with no skirt work.

I had a folklore teacher tell me once to go very easy on the skirt work; that the chacarera is not about that.

It is such a fun dance, even when I'm very tired from tango, when they play a tanda of folklore, especially if the songs are by Chaqueno Palevicino, it gives me energy and joy.

Saludos from BsAs,
Cherie

Read my new book, The Church of Tango: a Memoir, aailable on Amazon.