[Tango-L] What to call the normal tango walking beat?

Ruben Malan rubenmalan at comcast.net
Wed Sep 28 10:37:20 EDT 2011

> My question is: of those of you that are familiar with the terms "half
> note/minim" and "quarter note/crotchet", which would you associate with
> the normal tango walking beat? Is it a half note or a quarter note or
> something else?
>
> Jamie

Argentine tango motions commonly allows (but is no limited) for steps, walk,
(and dance) on the half, quarter, eight, and even sixteen notes
(blancas, negras corcheas y semi-corcheas), assuming that the music is
written in a 2/4 time signature.
The most common though, are the walking steps on the quarter notes followed
by steps on the eight notes.
Therefore, SLOW =  (a quarter=one beat=one step) (walked or on place)
And QUICK (usually in pairs) = (an eight note=half beat=one shorter step).

Additionally, even if dancers are ON PLACE (no-displacement), there may be
body motions underlining the musical symbols mentioned before,
interpreting the musical texture and depending on the creativity of the
leader.
So, at this point, it is convenient to have in mind that AT dancers may also
"dance" without necessarily walking all the time.

Ruben