[Tango-L] What to call the normal tango walking beat?

Jamie Gifford tango at cocolisa.com
Sun Sep 25 12:11:21 EDT 2011

I am interested in what terminology people use to refer to the tango
walking beat. I'd like to find terms that are precise but which don't
create unnecessary confusion.

By the "tango walking beat", I mean the natural walking beat that
usually has a speed of about 1 beat per second, that appears in the
usual "caminata". I want to distinguish it from the faster (double
speed) beat that appears in the "corrida".

I have heard some people talk about "slow" and "quick". I am interested
in more precise terms than this.

An obvious possibility would be to borrow terms from musical theory -
"half note", "quarter note" or "eighth note" (or minim, crotchet, quaver
if you are not from the US, or blanca, negra, corchea if you prefer
Spanish...)

My question is: of those of you that are familiar with the terms "half
note/minim" and "quarter note/crotchet", which would you associate with
the normal tango walking beat? Is it a half note or a quarter note or
something else?

Jamie