[Tango-L] My Macs and my tango

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Thu Oct 6 12:06:42 EDT 2011

Thank you SO much, Mr. Jobs!

In early 1984 I bought MacIntosh #000311. That was it for me; love at
first touch. Every time Mac grew, I bought the new model. Thinking back, I
realize I spent an awful lot of time full of glee showing friends what a
computer could REALLY do. For years. It can still happen today. For there
is nothing in the world like those beautiful Apple machines.

My business was sound and recording. It was the analog era - but we all
knew digital was about to change the world. When it came to recording, the
revolution happened because Apple made all things possible. In a
heartbeat.

The architecture of Mr. Jobs' machines allowed software engineers to do
pretty much everything you would ever want to do. Now. In my business,
ProTools sitting on a Mac became the gold standard for recording and sound
editing as the 90's came.

All I have had to do to be a happy engineer is to have the latest iMac and
the newest versions for it of my favourite editing and effects programs.

When I began my tango restoration project in 2001, my computer was the G4.
I was in my 8th year of using ProTools. It was a no-brainer that I should
have a go at seeing if all the great old tango recordings could be
improved sonically. Never would have happened without Apple.

Mr. Jobs, your great gift to humanity was to make it possible for millions
of people to live and follow their passion and work in it with your
amazing tools and what they allowed others to make for your platform.

What you did for Argentine Tango lovers is unbelievably wondrous. One
brilliant little star in that great galaxy of outpouring of hearts and
minds you enabled from this one little planet.

Wow.

There is perhaps one way to thank you which I know you can appreciate: get
lost in enjoyment inside that music!