[Tango-L] Tango Meccas (WAS Re: Seminar review)

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 00:38:33 EDT 2011

On 10/3/11, Shahrukh Merchant <shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com> wrote:

> Wow, that's quite a statement. Certainly it cannot be denied that
> Gustavo & Giselle's setting up home in Boulder makes Boulder somewhat
> special in the Tango department.

I feel well-qualified to comment, since I live in Boulder ...

Boulder is a little smaller than BA in all respects, but it has lots to offer
the tango tourist! Aside from Gustavo & Giselle we have:

 * Lucille's. Best breakfast restaurant in the state. Ideal for recharging
  at dawn after dancing all night.
 * Avalon Ballroom. Formerly a warehouse, now a dance floor of I-don't-
  know-how-many 1000's square feet. Has room for maybe 10 times as
  many people as typically show up. (HINT HINT out of towners!)
 * Boulder's system of bicycle and pedestrian paths is very extensive.
  Bike to every event in comfort and safety. Be sure to take a clean
  shirt with you in the summer, and your parka, in the winter.
 * Buffalo Gap is just one of several fine resale shops with lots to offer
  budget-conscious yet stylish tangueros/as.
 * Soak your tired tango feet in the ice-cold waters of Boulder Creek.
  Then take a nap on the grass at the City Park to rest up for
  another big night of dancing!
 * Literally DOZENS of highly skilled tangueros/as await a tanda with
  you. If you dance with the Boulderites, it is sure to be an unforgettable
  experience. Helpful hint: to make small talk with the locals, ask them
  whether they prefer skiing or snowboarding.

Well, I'll let that be enough for now. We would be thrilled to have
thousands of tango tourists descend upon our sleepy hamlet.
See you soon!

Robert Dodier
Boulder, CO