[Tango-L] Tango Meccas (WAS Re: Seminar review)

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Wed Oct 5 07:52:36 EDT 2011

Denver was already a US mecca, created painstakingly over time by
great teachers and lovers of the dance like Tom Stermitz.  It takes
great teachers, who teach to good music, and great milongas, which
play good music to make a good scene (let alone a mecca).   I heard
there were few opportunities to dance in Boulder, even during this G&G
weekend.

If the experience of other US tango "meccas" is any predictor, it's
not the Argentine superstars who are creating the scene.  It's the
local teachers who are making the dance accessible, then providing
places to dance even though there is little monetary compensation.  As
Tom once said - it's not the number of people I teach, but the number
of people who stick with it that makes me a good teacher.

Lois Donnay
Minneapolis