[Tango-L] Tango Meccas (WAS Re: Seminar review)

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Mon Oct 3 23:53:37 EDT 2011

"Nussbaum, Martin" <mnussbau at law.nyc.gov> wrote, about a week ago:

> Boulder is now the go-to mecca for Tango, second only to
> Buenos Aires.

Wow, that's quite a statement. Certainly it cannot be denied that
Gustavo & Giselle's setting up home in Boulder makes Boulder somewhat
special in the Tango department.

However, let me play devil's advocate (no cynicism intended) and ask,
since really what to me defines Tango in Buenos Aires is not the dance
as much as it is the music: What's going on in Boulder, if anything, in
the Tango music department? Does it have a resident Tango orchestra? Or
at least aspiring Tango musicians? Does the Tango energy of Boulder
foment it? Would a Tango concert (no dancing) of good, but not
particularly danceable, Tango music, fill a theatre of 500? Of 100?

Shahrukh