[Tango-L] Pugliese, sound

RonTango rontango at rocketmail.com
Tue Nov 22 11:07:42 EST 2011

There are 2 things (at least) that need to exist before playing Pugliese from the 50s. First, the men need to know the pieces (very few do) in order to deal with the uneven tempo. Second the men need to know how to dance to an uneven tempo, with pauses, but still having fluidity in their dances. And, oh yes, the women need to know how to wait (and not be embellishment machines). I rarely have these pre-requisites in sufficient numbers to justify playing Pugliese from the 50s. If I do, I play tandas of 4. Why not? (If played at milongas in Buenos Aires, 50s Pugliese tandas have 4 tangos.)

I never play Pugliese from 60s onward because it is too variable in tempo with too many pauses. Desde del Alma is nice, but as you mention, there aren't enough pieces with a similar uneven tempo (and yet still danceable) to make a tanda.

Pugliese from the 40s: Yes, but I also consider who is dancing. I keep it for the second half of the milonga, after most of the beginners have left and dancers are not too tired to concentrate. Pugliese from the 40s isn't as challenging as Pugliese from the 50s, but it doesn't have the clear constant tempo of other orchestras from that era. Some skill is needed.

Ron